European Style Regulator DIY ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobC

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2009
Foxboro MA
It was brought up a few weeks back about sourcing the European style draft regulators ( Barometric Damper ). Hannson was good to connect us to a source. I didn't follow up on it because 1) cost & distance 2) had a feeling that it was not going to be an exact fit etc.
So, as my busy season comes to an end I was going to try to build one from scratch.
1) I noticed they have some gasket material on the lip of the opening. I have extra tubing from a manometer that seem to be silicon-ish material and I have some EDPM roofing.
Any thought on these or a better product that readily available to make a seal for the door ?
2) Ideas for an actuator for damper door to keep it closed while not in use ? Again, readily available parts, Grainger or Surplus Center. I'm not sure that I will need one but figured that if others wanted to DIY, the ideas would be in one topic.
Any other input welcome.
Rob.

I've been trying to puzzle this one out, but no breakthrough ideas yet.

For an actuator to close the damper when not in use, the idea of a solenoid/ electromagnet coil pulling in (or letting go) a steel or iron piece seems appealing- fewer moving parts than a motor-type actuator.

Interested in any others' ideas

BTW, it is not clear to me whether the Tigex even has gasketing on the door. I think that a well fitted door on that design would be relatively close to being sealed (or a whole lot closer than the US baro dampers) even without gasketing.

Available thru Westwood in USA. Didn't check pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.