Ever grab that piece of wood you just can't cut up and burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
This is a piece of cherry. Its hard to see from the picture, but the hole in the top resembles a heart.

Attachments

• Wood hanging.jpg
    Wood hanging.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 716
Yea, I had a small piece years ago that had a stain in the shape of a heart, I think I still have it.

That would make a nice table top. My brother has made some wooden furniture. All stuff like you would see in an Adirondack Lodge or mountain cabin. Something like that. Collects some nice individual pieces and then builds something nice. Mostly uses branches, some all twisted and knarly, for the legs. Pretty cool. I told him he needs to start a part time business building and selling them. Maybe some day he will. Cool piece of wood you got there.

I buy Black Ash logs in 8 foot length and a lot of them are so big, sound, and clear grained that it hurts to cut it up for firewood. I sure wish I had a sawmill. When I was building my house I looked all over for Ash flooring and couldn't find it. WIth the exception of the bathrooms and mudroom, the entire house has wood plank flooring.

Here is a few............

Attachments

• WALNUT SLAB.jpg
    WALNUT SLAB.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 489
  • walnut 1.jpg
    walnut 1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 508
  • resize block.jpg
    resize block.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 494
  • walnut3.jpg
    walnut3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 477
No. As a scrounger of unwanted wood I don't see many nice pieces. A lot of my firewood might make interesting bowls, but not much else.

I have a piece of hickory that looks like a spirit is coming out of it

LLigetfa said:
I buy Black Ash logs in 8 foot length and a lot of them are so big, sound, and clear grained that it hurts to cut it up for firewood. I sure wish I had a sawmill. When I was building my house I looked all over for Ash flooring and couldn't find it. WIth the exception of the bathrooms and mudroom, the entire house has wood plank flooring.

That would make some nice projects.

Once in a while yeah....

Attachments

• ironwood & cherry20511.jpg
    ironwood & cherry20511.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 262
  • mallet 2.jpg
    mallet 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 306
  • large honey locust bowl.jpg
    large honey locust bowl.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 276