Ever heard of button wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack22

Mar 10, 2011
Warren County, New Jersey
Has anyone ever heard of button wood or know of a species that may be called button wood? Someone is selling what he calls button wood. He says the bark sheds off of it every year and regrows. I have never heard of it and could not find anything on the internet about it.

Our local historical society is housed in an old mansion called "Buttonwoods". There are a few Sycamores on and across the street from the property.

fishingpol said:
Our local historical society is housed in an old mansion called "Buttonwoods". There are a few Sycamores on and across the street from the property.
Very interesting. My major in college was Botany and having never heard this common name until now is really interesting. I will be passing this on to others I know will feel the same.

That's a new one on me too.

Maybe it's a NJ thing. I learned about it years ago when I bought a house on Buttonwood Street in Mount Holly, NJ. Had to ask the neighbors.

As I recall sycamore is good for about 17.5 million btu (or a little better depending on the listing) per cord. Got one in the front yard that did a dance with mother nature and has adopted a lean but is still growing. Toyed with taking it down but prefer to wait as it is the only one near my place.

Status
Not open for further replies.