Ever used Naked Wood from Outdoor World of New England?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bclmread

Jan 11, 2008
NH
Hi

I was looking for feedback/experiences from using "Naked Wood"...firewood without the bark.

It is sold by Outdoor World of New England.

Thanks.

Never burned/bought it. Looks like a 'premium' product - meaning it is serving a part of the wood burning market that appreciates (read that as "is willing to pay for") more than just the BTU content of their wood supply.

I couldn't find a price anywhere - not worth my time to call. I am a very cost conscious consumer. Stripping the bark off the wood is one more step for them to do and I'm sure that only will add to the cost of the wood, thus I doubt it is in my budget. It certainly won't burn any worse than any other wood if you let it dry out. Might dry faster, certainly not slower.

I would guess since it is sold by Outdoor World, it is kiln dried so it would burn very nice. Wood at many large retailers is kiln dried as opposed to the type at the local "Mom and Pop" which is many times localy harvested and may not even be properly seasoned. Now this of course is IMHO not based on scientific facts, or any politically adjusted polls. So take "many times" and use an +/- 3 %, multiply by 72 divide by Pi and subtract the total number of persons in your household to get the scientific solution.

I am local to them and considering a purchase. I might buy 5-10 piece to try it out one night in my Jotul C450 insert.

I think their price is $245/cord and I have $15 coupon, so $230 is not bad for dry wood in these parts...market seems to be running $215 to $280, seasoned.

I only need one cord to burn now, and have 2-3 cords cut and split now that are seasoning for next winter.

I'm curious to see how they quantify a cord when they are scooping the wood in a loader bucket. Maybe by weight?

Still curious to hear about someone burning it...

Are they selling it as dry/ready to burn or green? The site said something about "dries faster" which would only seem to matter if they are selling it green.

Once it is dry it will burn fine I'm sure. Only question will be "how dry is it?" if they are claiming it is fully dry. Sounds like the economics may not be that bad if you are really only looking at a $15 premium over lowest alternative price/cord. Again - assuming you are really comparing equal volumes and moisture content here...

I called them as well and I think it was $245 or $250 a cord. They said it was seasoned, but who knows what that means. Clearly it isn't kiln dried at that price. My insert installer recommended these guys but I ended up going in on a giant load of seasoned wood for only $150/cord.

The way I see it there's BTUs in the bark too so why go to the trouble to take it off?

Badfish740 said:
The way I see it there's BTUs in the bark too so why go to the trouble to take it off?

I think there's minimal BTUs in the bark (I may be wrong and it's certainly variable - birch....), but plenty of ash, more dirt, and more bugs

I stopped in yesterday. The wood is mainly oak and has been seasoned 14 months (per the employee).

Seems like a reasonable product, with a little less mess. They have figured that a cord is 6 loader buckets of a certain size.

They go through approx. 3000 cords a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.