Every year it's the same thing... stack inside the garage or on the driveway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
(This is for the wood to be burned next season - dried already.)

Inside the garage:
Pros
-Extremely convenient

Cons
-Insects (so far, just powder post beetle, but...)

On the driveway:
Pros
-Less insect concerns
-Quicker to stack - can go lower and no inspection required

Cons
-Snow on tarp needs to be removed
-Snow removal around stack
-Wood needs to be moved to garage periodically anyway during winter, essentially double handling

So far, the only insect concerns in the past few years have been the ppbs.
The thought of keeping the wood outside usually appeals to me in the spring and summer, and then it starts getting cold and I change my mind.

Made a change to your thread title, VF...lemme know if I hosed it up somehow, and I'll fix it any way you say. Rick

Do you have a paved driveway? If so, could you build rolling racks that you could move? You could have some in the driveway and roll 1 in the garage at a time. My 2 cents (and that's all it's worth ;lol)

I vote for the least amount of handeling possible. you could treat the garage with Timbor pretty cheaply for piece of mind that you dont get ppb.

I was gonna spray something on the wood and walls - the ant stuff I have says the wood would be good to use in 6 months.

I have always been against stacking wood in a garage or basement until it has been seasoned. Even then, the PPB's can cause some problems and you don't want them chewing on the studs or rafters in the garage or house. So I say dry it outside this summer and then come October or November, move it inside.

Jack Straw has the same idea I did, if its paved and level you can build some racks on casters and roll them into the garage in Oct/Nov.

I would have to agree with the driveway storage idea. It's not like the wood is not in close proximity. I would just hate to see something happen down the road and it's something you could have avoided.

I would never stack in the garage as I need the room not to mention it would be a hell of a fire hazard. Would take just a few welding or grinding sparks shooting over on the wood and the garage burns to the ground along with 30k of tools and equipment. Yeah... it stays OUTSIDE!

I would have to agree with the driveway storage idea. It's not like the wood is not in close proximity. I would just hate to see something happen down the road and it's something you could have avoided.
But it's soooo convenient...., lol. Hence the confliction, if that's a word...

I have always been against stacking wood in a garage or basement until it has been seasoned. Even then, the PPB's can cause some problems and you don't want them chewing on the studs or rafters in the garage or house. So I say dry it outside this summer and then come October or November, move it inside.
Thing is, with the warm winter, I've got about two cords now INSIDE the garage, lol.

If that's your only options, I vote outside for as long as possible.
Got any pictures?

I looked for some pictures I had posted, but they all disappeared after the forum software changeover. Oh well.

I found them, for what it's worth.

The first one is two rows along the wall, and the second is a pile on the driveway covered with a system I never used during the winter.

imgp1217-jpg.48458

imgp1102-jpg.47385

Great pictures
How about a roof/wood shed over the stuff in the driveway?
You might be able to stack it higher & not have to continually remove snow from the roof.
You could extend the eve out over the front a foot or more, and the vertical supports would be out of the way for plowing snow.
Looks like you have room. Then put down pallets to keep the wood off the driveway & the bottom would stay drier.
Lay down some treated 4X4s & build off them so it's not a permanent structure, when empty you could drag them out of the way.
Make 3 of them about 10 ft long - 8' high & slide them together, a 30 ft long roof.
Just an idea ;)

Do you have room for one of those metal carports?

Multiple handling is just the way it is. Cover. seasoned stack in the driveway during the summer with black plastic sheeting. move it into the garage in winter bug free. It will solar cook the bugs out of it. I dont have it figured out my self yet.

Thanks for the ideas!
The driveway stacking thing would definitely be much easier with some kind of rigid cover.
Keeping the asphalt driveway intact is also a challenge.
With a roof, it'd be pretty heavy, which could be a good thing from a blowing-away point of view.
Maybe I'd have to tie in the floor and pile wood on it-keep some on it at all times for ballast.

Do you have any usable property near the asphalt driveway to stack? Maybe make something semi-permanent, like the pallet sheds or racks with solid tops?

Some, but it's still asphalt.

I've decided to replenish the garage stack. Maybe when the driveway stack is gone I'll revisit (of course :) ) putting up some kind of shelter.

Status
Not open for further replies.