Everybody ready for the cold snap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisnow86

Minister of Fire
I know I am.. 2 tons of fuel in the garage and a clean stove running like a top.. This weekend will definitely make my stove earn its keep.. Hope All you other pellet burners out there are ready..

Reactions: vinny11950
Bring it on! Will get to move the pellet feed up to #3.....of 6
Bill

I'm ready at home, but I work overnight on a shipping dock, outdoors. It has been mild so far so I've been thankful!

image-20738.jpeg

Burning the Okanagan Douglas firs I have been hoarding for sometime now..
then Blazers if it stays bitter cold here.

I just loaded up the hopper with the Olympus DF, that I have been saving too....
Turned the dial up a notch.... we'll see!
Still getting used to this thing.. Plenty of notches left!

Dan

Cold came into my area last weekend and has been a PIA. Thermostat decided it was time to stick closed so no in floor heat in the basement and that makes for a cool floor upstairs. Was hoping the new one to be in todays mail but had no mail at all.

Weather has been pretty average here, below zero enough to run the stove hard at time but not the straight -20°F temps we get for days at a time. Started with 2 tons of Mike's Pulaski Proud Golden WI grown nuggets, still have about 2/3 of a ton left. Will crank it up through Sunday and then back it off starting Monday. The are saying -20°F to -35°F windchill with about -10°F regular low temp tomorrow through Sunday.

Stay warm everyone, especially those working outside!!

Reactions: bogieb
I really need to stop in and visit Mike and Paul sometime. Just never seem to be able to find the time though.

I really need to stop in and visit Mike and Paul sometime. Just never seem to be able to find the time though.
He's done me very good for many years. He certainly has the right setup for what he does. Funny, after knowing him for several years we found out that he is a cousin to my nieces husbands mother. Small world sometimes. Good people for sure.

I just loaded up the hopper with the Olympus DF, that I have been saving too....
Turned the dial up a notch.... we'll see!
Still getting used to this thing.. Plenty of notches left!

Dan
I also loaded in a bag of Olympus into the P61. That topped off the hopper extension, so I won't be seeing the change until sometime Saturday. Topped off the hopper of the P43 with the one bag of Vermont's I had from last year. It should hit early Saturday. I think I have this timed right for the really cold weather. Yesterday I also turned on the ThermGuard so the FHW runs for 8 minutes every 6 hours to make sure pipes in the garage don't freeze.

Still have both stoves on Room Temp / Auto. bedroom has not dropped below 68, so my new configuration is working well. Although, this morning with the outside temp at -2*, I noticed the P43 never got shut all the way down before starting back up (fire went but exhaust fan was still going when it started dropping pellets again). Tonight I just might have to switch it over so it isn't constantly restarting.

-2 this morning, Barefoots keeping house at 71 on lowest fuel setting. Calling for -20 below wind chills all weekend. Super fun.

Been running the heat pump and furnace mostly this winter, but wife wants the 'fire' going for the 'cold snap' and I have my mom coming over for the day Sunday and she hates the cold and just LOVES sitting in my recliner that the Harman blows the heat directly at. Big pot of chili with jalepeno cornbread for Saturday and a big pot of seafood chowder for Sunday and some Long Trail Double Bagger in the cellar. Life is Good.

5 deg. This morning, ran the the Francesca on heat 1 overnite burning a mix of Greenways and TSC redbags, woke up to a comfy 72 deg.supposed to be colder tonite so I may need to bump up to heat 2. Got plenty of pellets so I'm good to go.

Been running the heat pump and furnace mostly this winter, but wife wants the 'fire' going for the 'cold snap' and I have my mom coming over for the day Sunday and she hates the cold and just LOVES sitting in my recliner that the Harman blows the heat directly at. Big pot of chili with jalepeno cornbread for Saturday and a big pot of seafood chowder for Sunday and some Long Trail Double Bagger in the cellar. Life is Good.
Sounds like a good weekend to me!

Planning on finally trying something other than the really low settings. Plus I worked down through my one mixed pallet to the leftover Hamers from last year, gonna try them again probably starting tomorrow.

Alas, I'll be at the other end of the house, gutting a small storage room as the first step in making the walk-in closet for my wife. No insulation in there, ripping down the drywall will make it worse, gonna be cold in that room. Hmm, pedestal fan at the halfway point and try a bank-shot of warm air off the storage room door?

Status
Not open for further replies.