Evirofire EF 2 with multiple problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allstate81140

Jan 28, 2011
Central California
Hi all. First time here.

My first question is: What is the main purpose of the convection blower? Reason I asked is late last Winter, I heard a squeak in my living room only to go in there with it full of smoke. The flu pipe got so hot that I climbed in the attic expecting a fire. Usually I could almost hold on to it. This time it melted the labels and all. I suspect the convection motor is frozen.

My other questions are what is involved in a new igniter, and also a new green light in the control door?

Is this stove worth what all the above will cost, and living in Visalia, California, where would be the best place to buy parts if it is worth repair? I am hoping the motor is just frozen, and not an external reason for it to do that.

Thanks for any help.

Jack

allstate81140 said:
Hi all. First time here.

My first question is: What is the main purpose of the convection blower? Reason I asked is late last Winter, I heard a squeak in my living room only to go in there with it full of smoke. The flu pipe got so hot that I climbed in the attic expecting a fire. Usually I could almost hold on to it. This time it melted the labels and all. I suspect the convection motor is frozen.

My other questions are what is involved in a new igniter, and also a new green light in the control door?

Is this stove worth what all the above will cost, and living in Visalia, California, where would be the best place to buy parts if it is worth repair? I am hoping the motor is just frozen, and not an external reason for it to do that.

Thanks for any help.

Jack

The convection blower pulls in air from the room and and then pushes it through the heat exchanger back into the room. In doing so it cools the stove so that the pellets don't get so hot they can start on fire. This blower turns on after the stove reaches a certain temperature.

The problem you are describing sounds like your combustion blower, but am not certain. They aren't that expensive. These blowers come on when you hit the on switch.

But I wonder why it quit.

Could you provide some more information?

Such as last time the stove and venting were cleaned and how many bags of pellets you burned since the last cleaning.

IMHO, The little EF-2 is worth repairing. It isn't made anymore but the EF-3 is and its basically the same stove. Still get a decent price for them, So much cheaper to repair. The igniter is reasonable and the light might be part of the switch, But still a reasonable cheap item. The blower is a bit expensive b ut still cheaper than replacing the stove.

I agree with smokey, It sounds more like the combustion blower. And if you haven't cleaned it? It could just be stuck with ash build up. I would start with a full tear down and a good cleaning.

Here is a site that has most of the parts for this gem. PM woodheatstoves here and he may give you a break on them.

http://woodheatstoves.com/ef2-pellet-stove-c-292_90_99_328_329.html

Keep us posted!

Sounds like a plugged exhaust system, and possibly the stove too, IMO.

j-takeman said:
IMHO, The little EF-2 is worth repairing. It isn't made anymore but the EF-3 is and its basically the same stove. Still get a decent price for them, So much cheaper to repair. The igniter is reasonable and the light might be part of the switch, But still a reasonable cheap item. The blower is a bit expensive b ut still cheaper than replacing the stove.

I agree with smokey, It sounds more like the combustion blower. And if you haven't cleaned it? It could just be stuck with ash build up. I would start with a full tear down and a good cleaning.

Here is a site that has most of the parts for this gem. PM woodheatstoves here and he may give you a break on them.

http://woodheatstoves.com/ef2-pellet-stove-c-292_90_99_328_329.html

Keep us posted!

Jay, FYI - The EF-2 and EF2i are still made and I can get them. In fact I have one still in a crate at the shop. List Price for the 2i is $2399.00

Status
Not open for further replies.