Exercise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
My new exercise load came today. Am partial to oak, but nice mix, Ash, White & Red Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Birch, Maple. Should keep me busy for a few weekends. Can't wait to smell each flavor as I cut em up.
Dunno why, but I love this sheet.

Attachments

• SAM_1384.jpg
    SAM_1384.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,480
  • SAM_1385.jpg
    SAM_1385.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,475
  • SAM_1386.jpg
    SAM_1386.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,454
That ought to keep you away from the popcorn for awhile.......or work a few bowls off. Nice pile of wood. Sounds like a nice mix.

Nice load, there! What size is that -- it looks like half a grapple or something.

Whatever it is, I love that feeling of knowing there's a lot of bucking and splitting coming up. Enjoy!

Very nice.
Looks like you have it stacked up nice for cutting.
Have fun.

That is nice, better than any gym.

Triaxle truck load. Should come in at about 8 cords. He had it stacked tight & high, so maybe a lil more. I'll know better when i start getting ti cut and split.
Guy was real good with the grapple. I like dealing with folks that know wtf they are doing.

Smooth move having them put down on those runners. Have fun.

BrotherBart said:
Smooth move having them put down on those runners. Have fun.
Been there, done that without them, Guy knew what I wanted before I even told him.

Hogwildz said:
My new exercise load came today. Am partial to oak, but nice mix, Ash, White & Red Oak, Cherry, Hickory, Birch, Maple. Should keep me busy for a few weekends. Can't wait to smell each flavor as I cut em up.
Dunno why, but I love this sheet.

Nice load of logs Hogwildz, how many cord do you think you'll get out of it?

zap

Looking for about 8 Zap

Sounds good, have a load of beech I did Feb. of 2010 ready to go for 2012-2013.

zap

Looks warm out there! I've been trying to get some outside stuff down for a week or two but the -20* temps aren't very motivating.

that oughtta get some fresh gas run through the saw. I'm with you, I love the different aroma that each different wood has when you split it, and you have quite the selection there. looks like fun, enjoy it HW!

Nate, been strangely in the 40's all week almost. Damn near 50 a few days. Lots of rain though. Don't remember a January with this many unseasonably warm days. I ain't complaining though. Just want to get this stuff processed before it warms up and the nats and insect come back out. I won't process in the warmer weather, I get eaten alive back here.

Nice load of wood you have.

Looks great - must be nice to see that wood ready to go. I'd like to do a grapple some day - I'd like to be able to just head out on the property and cut, rather than drive to cut. When do you plan to burn that wood? Good work! Cheers!

That's the nice way to do it, Hog. I've had 2 loads dropped since we got here....10 the first time and 20 the 2nd.
Still gives you the satisfaction of doing at least some of the work.
First load, I didn't know any better, and the guy didn't put down sleepers. 2nd load, he asked and I said yeah, please do. Same guy, 1.5 years later.Talk about talent with that claw.
I agree, it's always nice to watch or work with someone who knows their stuff.
Now, get to work! :lol: More pics would be nice. :)

You are right Hog about the way he piled the logs. Now you can cut right off those 2 sacrificial logs to make it super easy. Nice too that you won't have to move any brush. lol And I'm with you on not cutting in the summer months. Now is a great time bot be out cutting.

Iron: It is going to be For end of 2012 and the following season. Hoping to get enough cash to get another load or so so I can get a few years ahead. After I get the woman moved here and get finances back up, I am going to get 3 or 4 loads and get 8 years ahead. I have a large barn I don't use that I will stack it all in to dry and keep out of the elements. Or maybe just stack outside and cover the tops.
Load cost $700.00 and is the cheapest I could find so far. If I get more than 1, I will be asking for a discount. The ease of it being dropped right in my driveway and processes just outside my door is very convenient, so it is worth is to me. Just no time to scrounge. Although I still do at times, cause I just can't help myself.

NH: It is very convenient to have a grapple load and just cut at my leisure. I have wood on the property, but not easily accessible, and just don't have the time or equipment to get it back to the house. At some point, I will get some equipment and take advantage of the free wood laying/standing around. It may or may not be completely ready for end of this year, but gotta do what has to be done. It will get full sun and there is usually always a breeze or wind here. So we shall see.

BS: I have process more wood laying on the ground then I care to think about, mud, chains, crap etc. It will be nice to have a good work area and not have to sharpen the chains so often. The sacrificials will be cut and split also. But the rest will be nice to cut.

Well, gonna get out at it, have a great day my burning brethren.

That sure does look like a a nice way to work almost gentlemen-like wood processing. Enjoy.

boy i would rather live in -25f then live in the lower 48 states anyday.

Well only ended up getting a couple hours cutting in, but the enjoyed the air, the weather and the aroma of the different species all about. Needless to say, Did not have to process any last year as I scooped up 6 cords local, for $300.00 off Craigs List. All real dry and ready to burn. So, I am learning just how out of shape I am. I love cutting a pile though. Like a chess game, make a few cuts, then think up a strategy of what/where to cut next for ease of cutting, and looking not to get my legs crushed etc.

Enjoy your weather Grey, but I'm thinking if ya let that mullet grow out, it might help keep your ears warm. ;-)
And for gods sakes, eat a few cheeseburgers! Just kiddin ya man.

Attachments

• SAM_1387.jpg
    SAM_1387.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 549
  • SAM_1388.jpg
    SAM_1388.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 577
  • SAM_1389.jpg
    SAM_1389.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 595
  • SAM_1390.jpg
    SAM_1390.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 564
  • SAM_1391.jpg
    SAM_1391.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 586
  • SAM_1392.jpg
    SAM_1392.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 551
Saturday was great weather here in nepa for cutting....hell I heard the birds singing!
Betcha when the lil lady moves here hogz you are gonna have a helper in the wood processing dept.

I love how the chainsaw always ends up in the pics of wood.....strategically placed of course ;-) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.