Exhaust Fan "Bad Vibes"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
As many of you folks know, last week I had a vent fire in the Prodigy II

The vent fire was of no concern after all was sorted out, just a reminder that it can happen and that these stoves need to be run hot every day for a bit to clear the unburnt materials from the vent/stack.

Ok, this said, the last couple of days I have noticed a strange "Harmonic noise" or vibration coming from the exhaust fan area.

This little stove has a tiny "C" frame motor mounted in a small space along side part of the Hopper.

The shaft is very long, nearly 5 inches and protrudes through the exhaust housing (cast iron) and has the exhaust impeller located towards the outer end of the shaft.

The bearings are in the motor and there is a LOOOONG reach that is unsupported.

This morning I got up and went to fill the hopper and there was this NOISE and vibration coming from the exhaust fan area.

I removed the cover plate and accessed the situation. The motor had a noticeable vibration that was setting up an anoying harmonic noise that could be heard thought the house.

VERY anoying noise, a metal on metal Buzzing sound.

I shut the stove down and allowed it to cool for 45 minutes, then set about removing the access PORT, which is a cast iron plug about 2-1/2" in diameter right over the fan blade.

The fan turned easily and smooth, but there was a large accumulation of hardened carbon/soot on many of the blades.

Some blades had more than others resulting in an out of ballance condition.

Careful cleaning with a small screw driver/scraper and a tiny brass brush easily removed the accumulation of crud and restored the smooth opperation of the fan once again.

The vibration in the stove was markedly reduced after cleaning the fan blades.

My suspicion is that the vent fire burnt off some of the carbon/soot deposits, leaving the blade out of ballance.

Many of the pellet stoves have fairly easy access to the exhaust fan, this stove requires far more work to disassemble things.

I suspect that this is why the manufacture installed the access Port.

Just a heads up if your stove has some bad vibes.

Even the room air fans can become laden with dust and dirt and become out of ballance, causing vibrations.

Snowy

If it comes back, it could be the bearing in the motor. The excess heat could have caused the bearing to start to fail. Keep an ear on it.

Not a likely thing, as the bearings are located inboard quite a ways and there is a cooling fan between the motor and the exhaust casting.

Bearings are fine, nice and smooth and are a sleave type, not ball or roller.

The fact that the shaft sticks out so far is why the vibration was so noticeable.

Snowy

Ran the little stove all night and turned it up on 2 setting this morning to heat it up well.

Seems to be just fine again.

A clean stove is a happy stove.

Thinking that this summer I may tear into this stove and really give it a looking over.

Since it was a used stove when it came to us, that a grand going over may be in order.

I vacuumed it well and wiped everything off good in the mechanical cabinet when we bought it, but other than adding some lube oil to the room air fan that was about it.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.