Expanding Hearth Options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

traviswalken

Aug 25, 2010
Tacoma, WA
I recently purchased a Hampton HI300 wood insert. It is scheduled for installation Friday. I did not take the time to read the fine print prior to my purchase. The salesman said I would need 16" of hearth in front of the door. My 24.5" hearth seemed sufficient. However, upon further review, code now requires 18". Additionally, my hearth is flush with the surrounding floor. This means I need 19.5" of hearth in front of the door. Therefore, my hearth is 3.5" too short. I could return it and get the HI200, but I really think it would be undersized. Also, I might be on the hook for some shipping fees.

Since I want to do this right, I have a couple questions for the experts here.

1. I have what appears to be a grout or mortar hearth. I have an unfinished basement, so I am able to measure the depth. The depth varies from 5.5" - 7.5" (7.5" close to fireplace). If it is mortar, I believe the resulting R value is 1.1 to 1.5. If it is concrete (though I see no aggregate, only sand), the resulting R value is .52 - .71. The minimum I need is .6. DOES THIS SEEM CORRECT TO YOU GUYS?

2. I think the easiest way to comply with code is to install the stove as planned and add some tile around the perimeter of my existing hearth. My floor plus subfloor is only 1.5". CAN I GET A .6 R VALUE WITH ONLY 1.5"?

3. I am considering using the stove for a few months while I figure things out and schedule a weekend to tackle the hearth extension. UNTIL I GET IT FIXED, WOULD I BE CRAZY TO USE THE STOVE? ALSO, IS THERE A BANDAID I COULD USE FOR A COUPLE MONTHS?

Thanks for your help with my questions.

Travis

I would add an attractive tile or stone border on 1/2" cement board to extend the hearth.. It should be fine, especially 16" from the glass.

You can get a hearth extender board (removable) for $55.

I am in the exact same situation. My stove gets installed next week and i found that i an 2 inches shy of the correct hearth distance per code....the installer folks said that i can lay down some tiles as a temporary measure until i figure out something permanant....they said I need to have it ready to go or installers won't install...

I went with raising mine 4" and put in a stone hearth over the too small tile hearth. Looks better, solved the depth problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.