Experience with 18" Red Oak Rounds on a Pow'R'Kraft 7-Ton Electric Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
I just returned from my cabin and had a chance to use my 7-ton Pow'R'Kraft splitter on some larger rounds. I was splitting red oak which was felled last summer and cut into 6-foot lengths. I bucked it into 18-inch long rounds (one was 20" long) which were 18" in diameter. The splitter had no problem with any of them, including the 20" round, if I put the wedge into the fresh-cut end of the round. If I put the wedge into the soft end, which had been exposed to the elements for a year and a half, it would bury the wedge about an inch deep, but the round wouldn't split.

As far as my needs are concerned, this performance is just fine. I will always be bucking rounds which have at least one fresh-cut end and won't be splitting anything larger than 18" in diameter. I mention this latter point because I'm alone when splitting and a red oak round which is 18" in diameter and 18" long weighs about 160# (using a green density of 62# per cubic foot). Because this splitter is horizontal, you must lift the round onto the beam. I could barely roll these rounds off my hand truck onto my splitter, much less lift them alone. I continue to be a happy camper with my 7-ton Pow'R'Kraft.

I realize an 18" diameter round is small potatoes for many of you, but for my needs, it is plenty.

I realize an 18" diameter round is small potatoes for many of you, but for my needs, it is plenty.
[/quote]

The biggest I ever split was 50" diameter with the 27T Troy Bilt, and it worked fine. But it was the small, crotchy ones that give a splitter a real workout. Splitting straight oak is almost always a pleasure, I almost feel guilty using the splitter and not doing it by hand. Glad to here the 7 Tons is working out well.

Red oak is usually butter unless its all narly. ..

DanCorcoran said:
The splitter had no problem with any of them, including the 20" round, if I put the wedge into the fresh-cut end of the round. If I put the wedge into the soft end, which had been exposed to the elements for a year and a half, it would bury the wedge about an inch deep, but the round wouldn't split...
LOL
People scoffed when I said splitting with an axe is easier on the fresh cut face. Back when I was hand splitting, if I didn't have time to split rounds right away I would cut them to double length to haul them home. I would then make the final cut when I was about to split them.

With 20 tons of force, it is no longer an issue.

Sounds like it meets your needs perfectly. I bet it would split most of what I have up here.
Every now & then I get one that kicks the pump into the next stage.
A buddy in Willow (North of me) , that's similar to what he uses, he like his too.
Quieter for sure.

I would easily believe 7 tons to more than adequate. I have a pressure gauge on my splitter (4" cyl) and it rarley ever shows more than 200lbs for most of the time. Thats why I'm a big proponet of small cyl splitters. Cause I know it doesn't take much to split most. But every now and then I'll hear the screech of the bypass when I hit a narly piece.

Dan,sounds like a perfect setup for you. Yup, split the fresh cut ends-same results over here even with a bigger splitter. I'd be curious what the limitations of your splitter might be. For example can it split an oak knot? what can't you split for sure?

I've had one elm crotch that I never could split, mostly, I think, because I could never get it in straight. I'd have it lined up, let go to put both hands on controls, and it would move. It'd split off bits and pieces, but never got it lined up well enough for a real split.

Dan, I think most of us agree that elm is pretty tough to split with or without more oommph. I'll work it if its free but wont go out of my way for elm.

i always found oak to split rather easily except for those big rounds that needed to be chipped down to size.

My 5-ton electric has bulled its way through some pretty gnarly stuff so far, but if I was splitting an 18" round, I think it would pay to keep any knots well out of the expected split line... even in red oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.