Exploding Harman Oakwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeezix_McGoo

Nov 25, 2011
NW Connecticut
OK. So here I am. I just had a brand new Harman Oakwood Stove installed today and I am a bit lost, possibly in over my head. It is a non-cat stove but has Harman's afterburner in it to reburn the smoke and gasses. I got a nice hot fire cooking, and then closed the rear damper baffle (as instructed to to in the instruction manual) to get the draft to take the smoke thru the firedome afterburner. Now, the stove shoots out a big blasting explosion every 4 minutes or so and smoke poofs out into the living room. Anyone ever experience this? Anyone able to help me out here? Yowzers.....did I just make a big mistake buying a woodstove?

This usually happens because you are close to a coal stage and not enough air. The issue is you still have gases emitting from the wood and they build up and fill the stove and then explode. Just open the air a little so you have flames burning.

Skeezix_McGoo said:
OK. So here I am. I just had a brand new Harman Oakwood Stove installed today and I am a bit lost, possibly in over my head. It is a non-cat stove but has Harman's afterburner in it to reburn the smoke and gasses. I got a nice hot fire cooking, and then closed the rear damper baffle (as instructed to to in the instruction manual) to get the draft to take the smoke thru the firedome afterburner. Now, the stove shoots out a big blasting explosion every 4 minutes or so and smoke poofs out into the living room. Anyone ever experience this? Anyone able to help me out here? Yowzers.....did I just make a big mistake buying a woodstove?

Back puffing.

How was the stove installed?
How are you adjusting the air controls?

Air is wide open...all the way open. Stove is installed with a straight up 8 inch pipe 18 feet high.

The weather is in the sixties during the day up there right now. The chimney draft isn't sufficient to smoothly pull the gases through the afterburner and they are collecting in the firebox and going off all at once. With the design of that stove when the damper is closed it has to pull the smoke down and into the afterburner.

Leave the damper open when you are starting the stove up until you don't see smoke in the firebox anymore just flames . That tells you that the chimney is drafting sufficiently pulling the smoke up the chimney. Takes a long time in warm weather in the high fifties or higher.

north of 60 said:
Why would you have to run a stove for heating if it is in the 60s?

Because they just got it today dang it. I fire off a stove in July if I just got it. :lol:

north of 60 said:
What happens to the flame in your stove when the door is closed and bypass closed?
The flame shuts right down to nothing. Kinda strange.

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
Why would you have to run a stove for heating if it is in the 60s?

Because they just got it today dang it. I fire off a stove in July if I just got it. :lol:
Exactamundo my friend.....exactamundo. Im in shorts, loving the way the stove looks, and trying to learn all this and get the kinks out before really cold temps.

You guys are great. Unbelievable! Let me buy a round of drinks for the thread here...:)

Skeezix_McGoo said:
north of 60 said:
What happens to the flame in your stove when the door is closed and bypass closed?

Not drafting for sure. You gotta get some more heat up that chimney 1st. The big Δ T thing.
A dumb question, but did you try you air control the opposite way to see if it livens up since you said the fire was roaring?

I remember reading something recently from another thread--how are the joints between the sections of your stovepipe? When it's running can you take a grill lighter or something and try putting the flame next to any joints in the stovepipe to see if the flame gets sucked in? Ideally those joints would be sealed up with furnace cement but sometimes they're not or it's still not sealed well.

If there are a lot of joints in the stovepipe (say it's going a long ways up, i.e. cathedral ceiling) those leaks can add up to ruin your draft.

spirilis said:
I remember reading something recently from another thread--how are the joints between the sections of your stovepipe? When it's running can you take a grill lighter or something and try putting the flame next to any joints in the stovepipe to see if the flame gets sucked in? Ideally those joints would be sealed up with furnace cement but sometimes they're not or it's still not sealed well.

If there are a lot of joints in the stovepipe (say it's going a long ways up, i.e. cathedral ceiling) those leaks can add up to ruin your draft.
Hmmmm....There is about 7 feet of pipe inside the house, and none of them are sealed with anything, just screwed. I asked the installer today if this was ok and he said no problem. I will also say that he has been in the chimney business for over 20 years. Any thoughts on the unsealed joints?

north of 60 said:
Skeezix_McGoo said:
north of 60 said:

Not drafting for sure. You gotta get some more heat up that chimney 1st. The big Δ T thing.
A dumb question, but did you try you air control the opposite way to see if it livens up since you said the fire was roaring?
The damper is definately open to the right and closed to the left and The bypass damper is only one way.

Gentlemen and Ladies, (as appropriate)

I want to thank everyone here for your help. I bought this stove and have been so excited about slashing my dependence on Arabian oil. I fired it up tonight and wanted to see her burn. I got a fire going pretty good ( at least I thought), but I closed the bypass baffle prematurely, and was not able to achieve a secondary burn in the firedome afterburner. I need to be patient enough for the fire to get hot enough to ignite the afterburner. Therefore, the gasses were not burning and probably accumulating in the chamber and poofing. You all were so helpful. This is an amazing site and a great resource. I look forward to chatting and updating you all as the season progresses and can't wait for the day that I get really good at this and can help some other newbie!!!
You all go back to enjoying your evening and I am going to sit here staring at my stove all night long. Love this damn thing!

Reactions: Richprint29
Skeezix_McGoo said:
spirilis said:

Hmmmm....There is about 7 feet of pipe inside the house, and none of them are sealed with anything, just screwed. I asked the installer today if this was ok and he said no problem. I will also say that he has been in the chimney business for over 20 years. Any thoughts on the unsealed joints?
It's usually not a problem for short runs, although it's still a good idea to seal it. How many joints/sections of pipe are there?

Here's the thread I was talking about btw: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/84082/
That guy was using *double walled* pipe which keeps more heat inside, and the leaks were causing him trouble, so if you're using typical single-walled pipe I'd assume the same. Something to think about--furnace cement applied to the joints (with a caulking gun, then smeared smooth with a paper towel is typically how I do it) should help. Worth a try?

You got the woodburning willy's.Feels good to get 1 up and roaring.Enjoy!

Skeez - be patient, just a bit of a learning curve. The key is not just how hot the fire is, but how deep the coals are. From a cold stove it takes quite a while to get a decent coal bed. Start out with smaller splits and/or branch wood, and nothing wet/green. If you backpuff, just open the damper. You know the AB is going when no smoke comes out of your stack.

You will love this stove in the dead of winter - that's when it shows its stuff. Make sure you have dry wood - a year cut and split is best.

OK Folks,
Here's the deal. I stayed up all night with this stove, not because I was worrying, but because I wanted to watch it and learn. I decided to cooker' up really good and see how hot I could safely get it. Because it is brand spanking new, some of the oils and paint smoked a bit when it cured, and not only smelled a little, but set off the smoke alarm around 2am. Oh, how my family loves me! Anyway, I have so many less unanswered questions than I did last night. Stoves a crankin for absolutely no reason (its still pretty mild here in CT) other than I wanna watch her burn. Good god, I am loving this thing more and more. Gunna watch the Patriots whoop the Eagles today right here in my 96 degree livingroom :)

glad you like your stove. i bought the smaller oakleaf this year, and am waiting for it to get cold enough to burn more. i have only had a few fires so far and i think it is great. did you get the grill for yours? i did, but have not had a chance to use it.

Skeezix_McGoo said:
OK Folks,
Here's the deal. I stayed up all night with this stove, not because I was worrying, but because I wanted to watch it and learn. I decided to cooker' up really good and see how hot I could safely get it. Because it is brand spanking new, some of the oils and paint smoked a bit when it cured, and not only smelled a little, but set off the smoke alarm around 2am. Oh, how my family loves me! Anyway, I have so many less unanswered questions than I did last night. Stoves a crankin for absolutely no reason (its still pretty mild here in CT) other than I wanna watch her burn. Good god, I am loving this thing more and more. Gunna watch the Patriots whoop the Eagles today right here in my 96 degree livingroom :)
Beach Party!

Didnt get the grill option. It looked pretty cool, but we grill 12 months a year on our Weber. With 2 kids and a wife and the way I like to eat, the grill wouldnt be big enough anyway. Getting it would have been like a self imposed diet- and that aint happening!

Status
Not open for further replies.