Explosive smoke???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I went home today at lunch to get the fire going again. Stove temp only around 200 f, outside temp 17 around noon. I did my normal small kindlin ( still had coals, although not many) loaded really dry oak, ash. I left the door only a crack open, for a couple minutes because kindlin wasn't catching. Then, I opened the door pretty slowly because there was a bit of smoke building and WOOOSCH!!! a bit of a fireball and dry ash flew in a cloud out of the stove. This only lasted a split second, and scared the sugar honey iced tea outta me!!!! My oil had kicked on and was running a few minutes. Was the pull from the oil burner fan that is down the hall that caused this???? Phew!!

My guess is the rapid introduction of oxygen from opening the door accelerated the combustion in the coal bed sufficiently to ignite the new fuel, which was already smoking & off-gassing combustible vapors. The fact that the furnace had come on may have encouraged the resulting flash to come out the open door rather than go up the flue. When I reload like that, I watch it carefully, and when it begins to smoke I'll stick a BBQ lighter in there and get it burning before there's sufficient gas buildup in the firebox to cause any sort of "whoosh" startup. Rick

What happened was the balky kindling was smoking a lot, creating unburnt wood gases filling up the fire box. When a flame appeared, it ignited the unburnt wood gas. It's called a puffback, and yes it can be exciting. This is when one is glad that they have a good installation with 3 screws per pipe joint.

Well, I work hard to keep the beard lengthy, so I officially dont like back puffing. Thx

Backwoods, many of us wood burners have experienced that very same thing. It definitely gets your attention for a minute or so!

Yup +1 on the gas build up I had that happen a couple years ago and almost wet myself ! turned out it was much better leave the door cracked slightly and let it go on its own it usually takes off after a while. that doesn't mean you won't get the POOOOOOOF though just a little more control over the door.

yup, happened to me a couple of times last night......smoke puffing out the drafts just like a firebreathing dragon. I tried to burn it just a little too slow. opened up the draft just a little to give it a bit more air and all was ok again.

cass

Backwoods Savage said:
Backwoods, many of us wood burners have experienced that very same thing. It definitely gets your attention for a minute or so!

And this man should know! At our age we've experienced a lot of gas buildup. :p :lol:

BeGreen said:
What happened was the balky kindling was smoking a lot, creating unburnt wood gases filling up the fire box. When a flame appeared, it ignited the unburnt wood gas. It's called a puffback, and yes it can be exciting. This is when one is glad that they have a good installation with 3 screws per pipe joint.

On the job we have a different name for this . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backdraft

Pretty similar to the puffback . . . although when we find this it's typically in a well insulated home that had a fire . . . used up most of the oxygen is now just smoldering . . . until someone reintroduces a fresh source of oxygen into the building by opening a door, breaking a window, etc.

Wrong thread. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.