Extend Chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedGuy

Oct 30, 2010
Davisburg, MI
I just got done knocking the rear lintel and bricks out of the top of my fireplace, now I'm getting ready to get my flex liner so I can install my wood stove. One thing to address though is that my current masonry chimney is only level with the peak of my house and while it extends more than 3 feet from where it meets the roof, it's not 2ft higher than the nearest point within 10feet, it's level with it. So from what I've read I need to extend my chimney somehow to get an 2-3 feet out of it. My sweep recommended adding an extra flue tile so the liner will stay insulated all the way to the top, I think this would not look very good. My thought was to simply add a piece of ridged stainless pipe on top of the top plate, but then you run into the uninsulated factor. What would you guys recommend?

140.jpg

What about something like this?

That would work, but unfortunately would not match my house at all. ;) I have a typical 1970's tri-level with a red brick chimney.

I see.....

Yea, I'm not sure what to tell you. If the house were super contemporary I could live with the stainles but otherwise as simple terracotta tile would probably be more fitting.

I added 18" of 6" stainless to one of my flues and was wondering the same thing about it not being insulated and turning into a creosote factory but I'm thinking as long as you burn dry wood you should be ok. I will check mine about once per month to make sure.

Attachments

• 100_1321.jpg
    100_1321.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 301
Todd said:
I added 18" of 6" stainless to one of my flues and was wondering the same thing about it not being insulated and turning into a creosote factory but I'm thinking as long as you burn dry wood you should be ok. I will check mine about once per month to make sure.

That's the setup I was thinking of, so you haven't had anyproblems with it?

I added the rigid liner to mine to gain height (6 in diameter) then put a 7 in piece of rigid around that and used rock wool between them to insulate. Basically, I made a homemade double wall pipe. I kept the cap on the 6 in liner in doing this.

Here is the best pic I have of this setup right now. These are about the most unflattering pictures possible. From normal viewing distance, it really doesn't look that bad at all.

finishedchimney006.jpg

finishedchimney004.jpg

pen

I'm watching to see what others have done as we just had the installers come back and add 2' to our height due to my concern that our wood stove flue and oil furnace flue were the same height. The installer added 2' of single wall pipe. Was this correct (?), I don't know. I'd like to hear what others have done.

Shari

Todd said:
Did this help? Why did you do it? Draft issues, or clearance?

IPLUMB said:
Todd said:
Did this help? Why did you do it? Draft issues, or clearance?

My chimney was a short 13' with a couple bends and I didn't feel the draft was as good as it should be so I added the extention about a week ago. I've only burned the stove a couple times with the extention but so far it seems to burn a little better than before. I also had a dirty glass spot on the lower right side and now that has dissapeared.

I like Pen's idea with the 7" pipe and insulation around the 6" extention. I might have to steal that idea if mine cruds up.

I've been thinking about it for a while and as of now I think I'm leaning towards doing the extra terrecota piece on top to get me 2 extra feet. The reason being that if I do it that way I can keep my flex liner and insulation in one piece from the top plate all the way down to my stove. So the top will still be insulated, there's no extra joints to leak or come apart, and I supose one day I can add bricks around it to make it look right. I am currious though how do you guys make your conections between the flex liner and the extrnsion pipe and still have the liner held by the top plate?

RedGuy said:
I've been thinking about it for a while and as of now I think I'm leaning towards doing the extra terrecota piece on top to get me 2 extra feet. The reason being that if I do it that way I can keep my flex liner and insulation in one piece from the top plate all the way down to my stove. So the top will still be insulated, there's no extra joints to leak or come apart, and I supose one day I can add bricks around it to make it look right. I am currious though how do you guys make your conections between the flex liner and the extrnsion pipe and still have the liner held by the top plate?

RedGuy:

I extended my terracotta flue by one round and brought the insulated liner up to the top plate. Here's what the "revised" chimney looks like at eye level, from below and during installation:

Attachments

• Post IMG_8298.jpg
    Post IMG_8298.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Post IMG_6133.jpg
    Post IMG_6133.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Post IMG_8279.jpg
    Post IMG_8279.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.