Extend clean-out 'T' ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spangler

Nov 22, 2008
central ohio
I'm installing a Hearthstone Homestead into an existing fireplace with masonry chimney. The stove will sit in front of -- and exactly fill the space of the hearth. My possible problem with reaching behind the stove to the clean-out 'T' seems to solved by a previous home-owner, who had punched a perfect 6" hole through the floor of the hearth into the basement below, where there was a pipe down to a wood stove there (I never tried using that). My thought is to extend the bottom of the 'T' down 3 feet, into the basement.. I think I would have to use a flexible pipe, because that hole is not quite in line with the chimney pipe above. The pipe would come within 12" of supporting timbers below the hearth.

Is there any potential problem with this set-up?

Thanks!

I think as a long as its all sealed it should be fine

what a good idea! makes it easy. like previous post, make sure the pipe is sealed and burn away!!!!!!

Will the bottom of a tee accept the liner?

spangler-one thing to think about is running a 6" liner through a 6" hole in the floor. im assuming somewhere there is combustibles?? that liner will be part of the chimney, it is possible that it will get hot!!

The 6" hole is through the floor of the fireplace hearth -- brick and concrete. Nearest combustible will be support beams in basement -- 12" from clean-out pipe.

heus, your concerns are justified -- the bottom of the 'T' will not fit into the flexible liner. Are there any kind of adapter-connections made for that? I have a collar that connected my old wood stove to the flexible-liner, but that fits around the liner, not into it, which would have to be the case here, I'm guessing...

Status
Not open for further replies.