EXTEND THE CHIMNEY FOR WOOD INSERT..HELP !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipraynor

May 17, 2011
MD
Can someone please help me, I'm adding a second floor to a cape cod and have to extend the chimney, here's what i have.

20 foot masonary chimney. I have 11 foot of wood chase (that needs to be filled). I wish to add a wood burning stove with a 6 inch pipe. ( i haven't picked the stove yet)

I have heard everyting from....the top of the mas. fireplace, add an anchor plate with 8" class "a" SS pipe and drop a liner all teh way down to the insert.

FROM.........20 foot of chimney liner from inset to top of masary a 6" coupling male to male then a 6" class A to the top.

From ........a 30 foot liner..from insert to top of new chiney...the last 10 feet you can wrap and insulate.

from a 3ft. flex to a ridge vent up 20 feet to a class "a" another 11 ft. that is $$$

I want this to be safe I'm just not sure who is correct.

PLEASE HELP
Thanks,
Chip

You will need a full length liner appropriately sized to whatever insert you purchase. (Most are 6 inch now). The liner will hook into an anchor plate/class A adapter and stainless Class A chimney will continue up from there.

That being said, can you explain to me how to get a liner dropped down the mas. fireplace, and how to make the connection from the liner to the class A. I get the anchor plate holds the class A up, but what holds the liner...basically i'm lost at the connection between teh liner and the class A, THANKS

The top side of the anchor plate has a fitting that will allow a piece of Class A chimney to twist lock into it. The bottom side of the anchor plate has a male sleeve that the liner will slide over. So you attach the liner to the bottom of the anchor plate and send it down the chimney. You then secure the anchor plate. From there just make your connections to the insert below and stack your class A above.

Did any of the advice you got come from an actual Hearth Shop that employs NFI Certified technicians?

to be honest YES, My local shop, said it wasn’t possible, that I needed to run it all up brick. Called northeastern supply, they said it had to be ridge vent all the way down, class A all the way up. Everyone pointed to the stove I haven’t bought yet.

Do you think this application would need a firestop?

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. Do you have a brand of anchor plate, liner and class A pipe.

Before committing, is this fireplace in the ideal location for a stove? If there is a better spot for a freestanding stove, this would be the time to think about running a new flue system up for it. It can get a small chase on the second floor to hide the class A pipe.

Criminey. If your local shop said it wasnt possible, did they say why? If the brick was in very poor shape and the chimney not stable, that would make sense. If they simply said "you cant extend a masonry chimney with class A attached to a liner" Then thats -1 for specialty retailers and +1 for Home Depot!

BG has some good advice as far as location goes.

In 26 years, I have probably done a few dozen chimney extensions with Class A. Its really not that big of a deal.

Franks said:
In 26 years, I have probably done a few dozen chimney extensions with Class A. Its really not that big of a deal.

It really isn't hard at all.

Are you able to post some pictures of this chimney and fireplace? I wonder if I'm missing something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.