Extended Service Warranty for Internet and Box Store Brands

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious for some feedback. My company is creating some service products which will benefit a lot of folks in my service area. I let the cat out of the bag in an earlier post but I'm curious who has what and what problems they may have encountered/ what problems they need solved as it relates to stoves purchased without dealership service support. I have a good idea but I'm willing to listen more and talk less so I can learn.

What I'm proposing to do it so allow folks to purchase a service protection plan for a few brands which I'm very very comfortable working on an already have a parts account for. Such as Englander, Dansons, Breckwell, VistaFlame. My intenetion is that for folks who live within my service area could in effect have dealership support through a third party contract. Parts would be supplied via a manufacturer warranty and I would pony up the labor as needed.

I'm not sure of the mechanics yet, e.g....how much it would retail for and what all is included/ excluded....I have a rough idea based upon 5000+ service calls.

Thoughts and comments welcome. Anything like this exist yet?

I think its a great idea. As the internet and big box stores squeeze out the retailers with subpar products, the money will be in the servicing.

If they can sell health insurance for pets it might work out well for you. I get calls all the time for blowers, ignitors and auger motors for US stove and Englander. I stock a few items but generally pass on working on them just because of the lack of time I have. I know I am missing a chance to make money.

As you know 85% of pellet stove issues is lack of cleaning and not installed correctly. I just came across this issue the other day with over a 10' horizontal run. He could not understand why the stove was not running right.

Eric

One thought on this. I would suggest that you offer the extended service contract AFTER
you (or your guys) have performed a service & restored the appliance to it's original
"like new" condition.
The company I'm leaving (today) offers that type of deal for gas appliances.
It is available to new installs by us, whether it's on the retail or contractor side of the
business, & it's available - like I said - to older customers after an initial service call to restore everything to original.
We get $299 for a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty & included in that is a complete
diagnostic, tune & test at 2 years from either the install or service call date.

Status
Not open for further replies.