Extending ember protection on a FLUSH hearth.... least invasive options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
I have been thinking about this. My insert sticks out onto the hearth over a foot, with the blowers. The hearth is made of 6" square terra cotta pavers, they are not tiles, they are over an inch and a half deep. The hearth is flush with the hardwood floor surrounding it, or, if it sticks up it's not much, maybe a 1/4". There's a little wooden trim molding around it, like I say only about 1/4" or so thick.

My insert requires 18" ember protection out front, and I only had maybe 6" or so. I got a hearth extension board that I put down there and figure I am good to go. It's not attractive but it doesn't stick up much and fits the bill - I can remove it in the off season and etc so I like that too.

So some folks on here indicate that it needs to be fixed in place to count. Can I just put a couple screws down through it? That doesn't thrill me.

But changing out the present hearth is not an option as far as I'm concerned (it was built in the 50s by a mason, it goes down well under the floor and is solid and comes out from the chimney foundation under the house) I really don't want to have to pull the stove out to do anything. I'm not totally against cutting out the floor and doing a tile hearth extension but I am not sure how to be sure that it will be the right depth and how I can get something that looks decent, or matches, since this would be a permanent change to the house.

Suggestions? Thin tiles? Different kind of removable extension? it would have to be quite shallow so it wouldn't block the blowers at the bottom.

When a stove is set on a hearth pad it is not fastened down, nor is the pad. So I don't see why you cant set yours in place and move it if you want during the off season.
If it does not have a non-slip backing on it, I would put something on the bottom side to keep it from sliding around. You should be very careful of any embers or coals that could find their way to the crack between the hearth pad and the original hearth. Don't want them making their way to the floor down there.

It doesn't move around, because I did put down some "u-glue" temporary, removable cement (like the stuff they fasten things into magazines with, but bigger) under the corners furthest from the stove, so it's not going anywhere. And it actually overlaps the present hearth by a good four inches or more, so there isn't any gap where the embers could fall or anything.. .. Thank you for reinforcing what I thought, that what I have worked out is probably just fine.
I just don't figure I have too many alternatives that would not require major alteration and/or major expense!

Status
Not open for further replies.