"External" insulation on a single wall liner - exposed above chimney.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwscarab

Dec 5, 2007
SE Indiana
Ok guys - need thoughts. Maybe an easy one. I am hoping to get my new stove soon. I was informed that my single wall SS liner should be trimmed lower where it sticks out of my clay liner. Right now it sticks up 2 feet above the clay liner. Reasoning is it is a cold spot and will build up creosote quickly - it does exactly that - bad.

BUT

I have it 2 feet higher because my chimney has 2 side by side flues. One for the lower level where the stove is, and one for the upper level where my open fireplace is. Before I installed my original stove and liner, I had issues with smoke coming down lower level chimney while burning the open fireplace on the upper level. The 2 foot height elevation difference when I installed the liner seemed to fix the problem.

My question: Instead of trimming down, what can I "wrap" the single wall pipe with to insulate the exposed 2 feet so that wont look like crap. Something like a foil or bubble foil insulation that will wrap the pipe and keep the last 2 feet warm, but still look ok as it is exposed. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance!!!!!

I have to admit they look very nice and are perfect for the solution! I spent a chunk on the stove, I am kinda leaning towards a minimal cost fix. I was thinking of something like buying an 8" pipe to drop over the 6" - then filling the void between the two with something with a high R value for the 1" space - then adding an 8" cap???

My flu is 32ft high - SS lined 6" pipe inside clay 9x12 - external masonary. Wonder what the worse case temps are up there???

Sounds like you want a length of 6" class A factory chimney with a rain cap ? It would most likely have to be stayed because of the height and not so secure structural connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.