F-600 Non Cat owners: a design flaw?...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
Actually, I have no complaints at all. I'd buy another Firelight CB in a second. But, over the past 12 seasons, I have become curious about my stove's tendency to soot one edge of the glass, and not the other: It ONLY happens when I stop it WAY down, for an "overnighter", and even then, it is very light; It will wipe off with a dry tissue in the morning, leaving clean glass. But, sometimes it does happen, even with no apparent leaks, great burn times, and wilting heat output. And always only one edge, and not the other.

Now this question may sound odd, but I wonder if, perhaps, the glass-airwash is a bit asymmetrical, owing to design of this model, or if maybe I DO have an undiscovered leak somewhere. So...I'm wondering if other owners of this stove have noticed this one-sided sooting, and, if so, is it on the left or right?

Happy Burning,

On my stove there is a weld in the middle of the primary vent/air wash slit over the door and just beneath that is the only spot on my glass that gets dirty. Too bad the weld there was necessary. It burns off once the stove gets hot enough, but I usally do have some ash on the glass after the ashes have died out, which I guess is pretty common.

I think it's normal to have some blackening around the corners and edges of most any stove. With my woodstock, I get it, but it will burn off completely during the day with a sustained hot burn. I really don't wipe off any black stuff anymore - just fly ash from time to time.

However, you could have a gasket leaking a bit in that area cooling the spot enough to get some blackening. Also, with regards the airwash, on my woodstock, the air wash plate is adjustable. Don't know how it is on the Jotul, but that may be a possibility too. To get mine even, I used a drill bit as a gage vs trying to measure it.

Good luck,
Bill

I don't get any darkening, but it seems like I get a lot of ash on the glass. Not certain why this happens.

Lower right hand door corner on mine...corner closest to the side loading door...almost every fire...it's a triangular shape...2" x 2" usually...dry wood used...I'm guessing that the air wash doesn't quite get the lower corner for some reason on my stove...north and south or east and west loads I get the same thing...now big deal...it's a heating monster...

I get a lot of brown build-up on the glass as well, and the right door is worse than the left. It is much worse this time of year, when the stove is often running 200-300°F. It stays much cleaner when I can run the stove hotter.

Our case is not the best to compare to- as the F600 is oversized most of the time for our needs. We were very limited on options for a new stove due to the design of our hearth, and went with the F600, rather than tear apart the hearth. I accept the consequences of burning the stove a little cool and clean the glass twice a week. Takes 2 minutes. Great stove- the chimney had a coffee can of creosote after cleaning from last season, even though we often burn a bit cooler than recommended.

leeave96 said:
I think it's normal to have some blackening around the corners and edges of most any stove. With my woodstock, I get it, but it will burn off completely during the day with a sustained hot burn. I really don't wipe off any black stuff anymore - just fly ash from time to time.

However, you could have a gasket leaking a bit in that area cooling the spot enough to get some blackening. Also, with regards the airwash, on my woodstock, the air wash plate is adjustable. Don't know how it is on the Jotul, but that may be a possibility too. To get mine even, I used a drill bit as a gage vs trying to measure it.

Good luck,
Bill

Bill, that is not normal for most stoves.

Backwoods Savage said:
leeave96 said:

Good luck,
Bill

Bill, that is not normal for most stoves.

OK - so we agree to disagree.

What I really want to know from you is WHEN IS THE PH GOING TO BE INSTALLED AND PICS POSTED!!!!!! ;)

Bill

Wish I could tell you that Bill but no delivery date set yet. You'll for sure know if and when I get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.