F500 rear heat shield and blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
On my little Quadrafire that I ran last year, I used the blower alot. It really helped push the heat upstairs. Now while my F500 is a bigger stove made from different metals I am afraid of not having a blower. The boys at the fire shop swear that I will not need it.

Problem is that the heat shield and blower are big $$. Who runs a blower on the F500? Does the stove heat so much better that I will not need it?

Thanks..

I asked the same question about 2 weeks ago. The consensus was - no fan needed, and at least try it without first. Mine isn't installed yet (or bought), but I'm excited about the prospect of no fan....

I will be putting a ceiling fan in, and if needed, active venting to the upstairs.

I thought the rear heat shield was standard - no? Maybe that's the bottom shield...

skinnykid said:
On my little Quadrafire that I ran last year, I used the blower alot. It really helped push the heat upstairs. Now while my F500 is a bigger stove made from different metals I am afraid of not having a blower. The boys at the fire shop swear that I will not need it.

Problem is that the heat shield and blower are big $$. Who runs a blower on the F500? Does the stove heat so much better that I will not need it?

Thanks..

My recommendation is based on the dealer's recommendation . . . I think the fact that my dealer and your dealer both are saying to not get the blower says something about them . . . especially when selling the blower would mean a little more change in their pocket.

I didn't get the blower and I have to say that the house heats up very well (1,500 sq. feet or so). My suggestion is to save the money and try it without the blower . . . if you feel as though you need a blower down the road you can add it to the stove. For the money, a fan blowing from a cold area towards the stove seems to work wonders in moving the heat.

I did go with a rear heat shield. It was $70 or something to that effect. I purchased it partly to reduce clearances, but mainly because I liked the idea of having the extra heat protection.

I don't have the blower or heat shield. I'm heating 1600 ft2 on the ground floor and keeping another 1400 ft2 on the second floor habitable (60-68F) in a fairly mild climate. The house is well insulated and tight but if temps stay in the teens for a prolonged time, the gas furnace will kick in and help out unless I fire up the old Ashley in the basement. I don't see how the blower would help much as I think I'm getting all the BTUs I can from the firebox fairly effectively.

I am just try ing to move the heat around and have it nice in the entire house without it being wicked hot in the room with the stove. As I said, on the Quad it was a must.

My stove is in one corner of a 550 ft2 combined living room kitchen and surrounded on 2 1/2 sides by a masonry hearth and flue. It is the largest room in the house and centralized so it doesn't get overly hot, just cozy enough to take a nice winter nap when its cold out. We usually don't even run the ceiling fan as the heat moves well on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.