F600 whistling Dixie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

remkel

Minister of Fire
Jan 21, 2010
Southwest NH
So, went to load the stove for the night last night and when I went downstairs to shut her down for the night herd a whistle. Thinking it might be my OAK setup, I took out some aluminum duct tape to reinforce a weak corner but the whistling continued.

After listening a little more, I realized that it was the stove making the noise. It appears air was rushing into the stove through the joint between the door side panel and the back panel. Needless to say I was not too pleased at this development as I have only had the stove since June.

Put a call into the stove shop where I bought the stove and they said I am still within the one year limit for free servicing on the stove and I will be getting a call from their service department. So, for now, I will be cringing several times a night as
The furnace kicks in. I am hoping and praying that it is just some stove cement that failed...........

Anyone else experience this with their F600?

I would venture a guess that it is in fact the cement. In some case you can just fill the void from inside the firebox. Did you have any issues when you did your break in fires? Like did any of the first one or two get away from you and get warmer then you wanted?

jotulguy said:
I would venture a guess that it is in fact the cement. In some case you can just fill the void from inside the firebox. Did you have any issues when you did your break in fires? Like did any of the first one or two get away from you and get warmer then you wanted?

Nope, she has been burning like a charm until last night. Only thing up to this point has been some rattling firebrick, but that is something I can live with. I will see what the shop has to say.

you can always get a guitar and join in.....sorry, unwanted and uncontrolled draft/air is sometimes hard to deal with. good luck on your service visit.

cass

Whistling what??????

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Whistling what??????

This, of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwHvyqNDUvE

I've always wondered what, exactly, "with the girls be handy" means. :roll:

Remkel, it sounds (from your description) like something that should be an easy fix to me, and that your dealer is gonna step up to the plate (as he should)...hope that turns out to be the case.

Actually, it sounded something like this......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPBEqpggN3Y

Funny thing is the reaction when the family got home tonight to no fire and a 67 degree house........man, my ladies have become so thin blooded.

*laughing*

I like the second one better :)

Any idea on how long you are going to have to wait on them to show up? Did the stove run out of control as it was whistling or otherwise run differently? Did they tell you to stop burning? Are you sure you isolated the location of the sound?

If it were me, I'd at least have a small fire to try and duplicate and start feeling my way around that stove like a blind man in an orgy w/ welding gloves on to see if I could locate the leak myself so I'd have something to compare what the techie at the stove shop says.

If it's whistling from a leak in a joint, there are decent odds that a hand w/ a glove on may block it enough to at least change the sound so that you can better figure out what is going on.

In general, shy of this thing falling in half, I don't see why small fires couldn't be maintained.

I'll add, I had a similar thing last winter after running the stove for 2 years. For some reason it was just the right combination of outside conditions and conditions inside the stove to make a joint in my stove pipe make noise.

pen

You better watch close when it gets repaired. You might be doing it the next time if it happens again out of service. Hope not.

pen said:
Any idea on how long you are going to have to wait on them to show up? Did the stove run out of control as it was whistling or otherwise run differently? Did they tell you to stop burning? Are you sure you isolated the location of the sound?

If it were me, I'd at least have a small fire to try and duplicate and start feeling my way around that stove like a blind man in an orgy w/ welding gloves on to see if I could locate the leak myself so I'd have something to compare what the techie at the stove shop says.

If it's whistling from a leak in a joint, there are decent odds that a hand w/ a glove on may block it enough to at least change the sound so that you can better figure out what is going on.

In general, shy of this thing falling in half, I don't see why small fires couldn't be maintained.

I'll add, I had a similar thing last winter after running the stove for 2 years. For some reason it was just the right combination of outside conditions and conditions inside the stove to make a joint in my stove pipe make noise.

pen

Pen,

Took your advice and lit a small fire in the stove. Absolutely recreated the conditions, and the sound is coming from the same spot I found the other night. Put a flame near the area and it got sucked into the joint. I tried covering it, but there is a gap that I just could not cover.

I am suspecting a cement failure at this point. Heard from the dealer today and they are consulting with Jotul on the best way to approach the issue before coming out for the service call.

Hopefully I will be enjoying the wood heat again soon. For tonight, I will just hve to let some small heat rise into the kitchen.

Remkel said:
pen said:

pen

Pen,

Took your advice and lit a small fire in the stove. Absolutely recreated the conditions, and the sound is coming from the same spot I found the other night. Put a flame near the area and it got sucked into the joint. I tried covering it, but there is a gap that I just could not cover.

I am suspecting a cement failure at this point. Heard from the dealer today and they are consulting with Jotul on the best way to approach the issue before coming out for the service call.

Hopefully I will be enjoying the wood heat again soon. For tonight, I will just hve to let some small heat rise into the kitchen.

I hope they don't just stuff cement into the joint. That would only be a temporary fix. I also hope this doesn't mean a rebuild of sorts since that will mean they should probably give you a new F600 since this is the first season it was used.

Is there an ETA as to when they will be out to look at the stove?

No eta yet as they are waiting on Jotul. If they suggest stuffing the joint with cement I would probably tell them to stuff it up......well, you know what I mean. Heck, if that is the fix I could do that myself! I am hoping it is something that can be corrected without them having to take the stove. A rebuild after 7 months would be a huge disappointment after how much I have enjoyed the stove.

Hopefully I will her from the service department tomorrow. Worse part is I will probably have to stay home from work to meet them when they come. Thank God for VPN connections........

Status
Not open for further replies.