F600Cat rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

summit

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
central maine
Started this project back in January for a guy: thought it'd be a week or so project waiting on the parts, mostly: Jotul was backordered on a crucial cast bottom plate, so I just got the parts this week. So far, from my absolute teardown of a Firelight Cat, to stripping all the cement and crap off each piece, to an (almost) final assembly. I'll post the final result when finished. Whaddya think?

Attachments

• in a pile.jpg
    in a pile.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 999
  • f600 cat stripped.jpg
    f600 cat stripped.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 0323001509.jpg
    0323001509.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 994
How many hours ya got in that job summit?

Never tore down a Jotul, but I've done just about every VC model, including a Large WinterWarm.
It's a good feeling when they're finally reassembled, repainted & lookin brand new.
Nice job!

Cool stuff Summit!
I posted about a 25 year old catalytic Firelight I saw at a guys shop. He said the parts he ordered for that stove took a while to arrive too! This reminds me of that one, though it was an Ivory enamel not a black. Cool pics, looks like a lot of work!

Looks like a fun project. It's great that you are breathing new life into the stove. Thanks for posting. Keep it coming.

BrotherBart said:
How many hours ya got in that job summit?

bout 4 hrs right now, probably another 2 left.

Great post! I have a cat firelight that needs rebuilding.

I read somewhere that some stove rebuilders were using rope-type seals instead of stove cement on joints that were originally cemented. I assume they figure the joints can flex more without leaking. Anyone know any more about this strategy and whether it works?

Looks good Summit
I just finished a 30 year old VC Defiant rebuild. The outside castings on the old stoves really have nice detail and crisp clean lines. The pours on these castings where great not a pit mark anywhere.

Attachments

• IMAGE_027.jpg
    IMAGE_027.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 670
Resiburner said:
Looks good Summit
I just finished a 30 year old VC Defiant rebuild. The outside castings on the old stoves really have nice detail and crisp clean lines. The pours on these castings where great not a pit mark anywhere.

the old VC's shine up nice... we just got done w/ an old defiant, parts for those are getting harder to come buy, w/ many listed "no longer availiable" in our reference book..

In response to semipro's question: I'm putting cement where there should be cement, and rope where there should be rope. This particular unit utilizes both at different points on the stove. Some of the flatter, abutting edges I guess you could use stove gasket on, but the tongue and grooves really should have the cement.

Are you using conventional stove cement or does Jotul supply their newer compound to dealers for rebuilding?

Just Rutland stove cement. Works fine, always has. The new stuff Jotul is using I have not been privy to working with, yet, but Several Oslo units we have gotten in new recently have gobs of it stuck all over the firebox, like hard doggie poo... Its a real pain to scrape off.

The final result:

Attachments

• F600 Cat finished (Custom).jpg
    F600 Cat finished (Custom).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 860
Thats one great looking stove. Love that older look of the F600. Good job. If you dont mind me asking, whats the typical price range for a rebuild like that?

Very nice. Do you get the opportunity to test out the rebuild and light her up?

logger said:
Thats one great looking stove. Love that older look of the F600. Good job. If you dont mind me asking, whats the typical price range for a rebuild like that?

anywhere from 800-1600, depending on the parts needed to complete it, how much rust and crap is on/in it. This one, for example, had mice living in the combustion package: they'd nibbled out inside the entire thing and made a nice warm spot next to the CAT (ironically). It also had a small crack in the bottom plate (which was the piece we waited so long for), it sat for a while in a shed till we picked it up. this one was quoted out @ 1400 (i think).

BeGreen said:
Very nice. Do you get the opportunity to test out the rebuild and light her up?

no, I haven't lit her off, I'll have to ask the guy getting it if he wants us to burn off the fumes out in tha yard. It'll need a couple curing fires: new bottom, new cast combustion covers, new damper frame, combustor and combustion pkg... and about 4 cans of Satin black that were prepped with a couple cans of cleaner/degreaser... Gotta start new casts out slow, as well as new CATS and combustion assy...

Summit, that is just gorgeous. Great work!

I am planning on buying a T6 this summer but if I could find a stove that looked that nice, I think it would be mine!!

PS: Love the shop. It looks like a great gathering of heating stuff.

BeGreen said:
PS: Love the shop. It looks like a great gathering of heating stuff.

I'll have to take some pics of the rest of it... we got a lot of goodies.

wendell said:
Summit, that is just gorgeous. Great work!

I am planning on buying a T6 this summer but if I could find a stove that looked that nice, I think it would be mine!!

thanks!

Summit,

Well, I picked up this stove yesterday and wanted to thank you for doing such a great job with it. I had looked for a used Firelight cat for a while before I called Summit. He just happened to have one in (many) pieces on a pallet that he was planning to rebuild. One visit to his shop and I was convinced - these guys really know stoves! The dedicated rebuild shop was a Candyland of all the classic stoves in various states of rebuilding with more than a dozen finished models on the showroom floor. My newly rebuilt stove is every bit as good as new and Summit's rebuild was absolutely meticulous. Many thanks, Summit.

Why the Firelight Cat? I already own one Firelight Cat (12 years primary heat source) and while the Oslo at the other end of the house is a fine stove, for my purposes, it just doesn't measure up to the Firelight. The Firelight has a larger firebox, much longer burn times, top loading (clean and easy), better heat output controllability and a more even distribution of stove top temperature over the burn cycle. I've burned a lot of stoves over the years, and this one is my absolute favorite for all the above reasons (haven't burned a B.K., though!).

dznam said:
Summit,

Well, I picked up this stove yesterday and wanted to thank you for doing such a great job with it. I had looked for a used Firelight cat for a while before I called Summit. He just happened to have one in (many) pieces on a pallet that he was planning to rebuild. One visit to his shop and I was convinced - these guys really know stoves! The dedicated rebuild shop was a Candyland of all the classic stoves in various states of rebuilding with more than a dozen finished models on the showroom floor. My newly rebuilt stove is every bit as good as new and Summit's rebuild was absolutely meticulous. Many thanks, Summit.

Why the Firelight Cat? I already own one Firelight Cat (12 years primary heat source) and while the Oslo at the other end of the house is a fine stove, for my purposes, it just doesn't measure up to the Firelight. The Firelight has a larger firebox, much longer burn times, top loading (clean and easy), better heat output controllability and a more even distribution of stove top temperature over the burn cycle. I've burned a lot of stoves over the years, and this one is my absolute favorite for all the above reasons (haven't burned a B.K., though!).

thanks for the glowing review, dave!!! I'm glad the F600 is going to a good home, and it was great to meet you! Lemme know how it works out for you this next chilly winter! And much thanks for your business!

You wouldn't happen to have another one of those, would ya? :wow:

wendell said:
You wouldn't happen to have another one of those, would ya? :wow:

sorry, no.. I'll letcha know when we do...

dznam said:
Summit,

We feel the same way about our Firelight cat and Oslo. Unfortunately our Firelight could not be moved upstairs to our hearth in the main room... too big, so we installed an Oslo instead. The Firelight worked like a dream and burned amazingly cleanly. Our Oslo left more creosote in the flue in its first season than our Firelight did in 10 seasons. Its a shame that Jotul gave up on the catalytic stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.