Fabricating custom surround panels for Mt. Vernon insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pymoo

Dec 11, 2010
Olathe, KS
Thanks again to everyone who helped me troubleshoot my Mt. Vernon in a separate thread. Now, I am looking to create some surround panels to fill the gap inside our arched fireplace. I made a template with white foam core today, and am thinking to use plate steel (I have a friend who can probably cut it), then powder coat or paint to match the insert.

Is plate steel the right way to go? I assume wood would be a no-go since it is combustible.

P1157723.jpg

I would think 10 ga sheet steel would work pretty good... nice idea.

I had my surround plate plasma cut to fit my little fireplace that has the Sante Fe. Then bent the thin panels to fit over it. Worked out good just spray painting them since there's no heat. Two years and still looks good.

I had purchased the regular surround for my Castile insert and took it to a local HVAC shop and had them cut it down and rebend the ends for me.

Did you guys install yourself or have dealers install? Reason I ask is we do all the legwork and custom cut panels for people and the install crew brings it with and installs it.

Hey tjnamtiw- What gauge metal did they/you use to create your surround? I don't think I need to bend mine, with my current design, so it seems like I could use a heavier gauge, although there is really no added benefit. Spray paint is a good idea. The important thing (for my wife in particular) is for the color to match the insert.

My parents used a custom wood surround for their Castille, but I prefer to stick with metal.

A surround made out of wood would be a fire hazard, as it does not meet the clearances specified by the mfg.

Did the install myself.

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 408
That looks like a postcard for Quadrafire. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.