Failed dollar bill test...please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Second season finished with the Castine and I tried the dollar bill test. In most places, it was very snug, but when I placed the dollar near the handle, it was pretty easy to take out. How do I adjust the door or fix the problem?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly there is a tension screw on the latch assembly. I'm 99% sure your local Jotul dealer, Cricket on the Hearth, could explain it to you. Stop in and give them a visit. Pretty good guys out there.

Cricket On The Hearth
5.7 miles
900 Panorama Trail So.
Rochester, NY 14625
Phone: (585)385-2420

It would be good to get to know them if you havent already.

If the Castine is built like the Oslo . . . and I don't know if it is . . . if you look at the front latch you may see the latch is fastened with a screw . . . on the Oslo you can use an Allen wrench to adjust the tension to loosen or in this case tighten it.

I'm not sure the dollar bill test is officially sanctioned - depends on the stove and the chimney draft.

In a general sense, if you feel resistance that is usually enough, IMHO. That at least means the space is not vastly larger than the thickness of the bill.

Sometimes large air gaps become evident by streaking of the glass with smoke...

Status
Not open for further replies.