Failing the dollar bill test with flying colors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tkirk22

Nov 20, 2007
VA Mountains
This is why everyone should do a door gasket test even on a brand new stove.

This stove is 10 months old and came pre-bent from the factory. A chimney water leak alerted me to the stove door leak. The bend is impossible to see with the door closed but very easy to see when you remove the primary air slider.

Now I know why I thought I had an overdraft problem.

Attachments

• 100_0365_resized.jpg
    100_0365_resized.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 718
Yep. It is a good idea to use a straight edge on the all four surfaces where a door gasket contacts the front of the stove. My first NC-30 was bowed in that way at the bottom center of the opening instead of the top like yours. I installed it and burned in it several times thinking EPA stoves were insane until I slapped a straight edge on the thing and found the bow. Went down and swapped stoves with them.

It is discouraging that QA down there isn't checking for this.

mainemxz said:
Is that on your Englander? Have not fired mine up yet but will be sure to check it out before I do.

Yes it is the Englander 13. It's a good little stove but the quality control needs some upgrades. This is actually the second stove. The first one had a warp on the top rear due to an improper welding process. That one was sent back before it left the pickup truck. IIRC, both stoves passed inspection by the same person.

Tomorrow will be 14 days since I made the first call about this problem. No return calls or emails. I've been patient so far but on Friday (day 15) my attitude is going to change.

Look on the bright side.....
At least you didn't paint it Honey Brown, install it, burn it, then realize the problem.
;)

Kirk22 said:
mainemxz said:
Is that on your Englander? Have not fired mine up yet but will be sure to check it out before I do.

Yes it is the Englander 13. It's a good little stove but the quality control needs some upgrades. This is actually the second stove. The first one had a warp on the top rear due to an improper welding process. That one was sent back before it left the pickup truck. IIRC, both stoves passed inspection by the same person.

Tomorrow will be 14 days since I made the first call about this problem. No return calls or emails. I've been patient so far but on Friday (day 15) my attitude is going to change.

Is there a member here that works for Englander stove??if not i think there on another slower forum.
Good Luck Kirk. John

I'd PM Mike or Corie to see if they can help. Englander has to be super-busy at this time. A good word from them might help.

Hogwildz said:
Look on the bright side.....
At least you didn't paint it Honey Brown, install it, burn it, then realize the problem.
;)

Could'a been worse. At least I didn't have to drive to freakin Canada! Sounds like mato in NC is getting told to put his run away PE T-5 where the sun don't shine.

cmonSTART said:
Kirk, you had a thread about that previous stove, didn't you? I remember something like that.

Yep. That would have been around xmas time last year. 2 lemons in a row. I think I'm unlucky.

I'm sure ESW is packed with calls. After my initial call and email, I spent a week trying to call on the phone and got busy signals. Then I sent Mike an email. No response.

Maybe I'm getting the cold shoulder? It does kinda reminds me of my high school dating days. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.