Fair Price for Green Pine in the off Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So I just started burning last winter and am behind on seasoned wood (I have 12 acres, all pretty much hardwoods) and have a lot of oak split and stacked, enough for '12-13 but it won't be ready in time for the next winter. I've got some maple and beech down but not enough to last the entire next season. I wanted some pine for the shoulder season but iron ironically my property doesn't have much if any pine on it and I don't have a truck that would let me haul any scrounge......So I posted to CL a WTB post for a couple of cords of pine, in the rounds and green would be fine. My question is what would a fair price be for green pine in the off season in the round or in log lengths delivered?

spur0701 said:
So I just started burning last winter and am behind on seasoned wood (I have 12 acres, all pretty much hardwoods) and have a lot of oak split and stacked, enough for '12-13 but it won't be ready in time for the next winter. I've got some maple and beech down but not enough to last the entire next season. I wanted some pine for the shoulder season but iron ironically my property doesn't have much if any pine on it and I don't have a truck that would let me haul any scrounge......So I posted to CL a WTB post for a couple of cords of pine, in the rounds and green would be fine. My question is what would a fair price be for green pine in the off season in the round or in log lengths delivered?

Sez who?

About your question - no idea

About the question you didn't ask - Go get a truck.

How long has the oak been split/stacked? I fully agree that leaving the oak for at least 2 years is best, and depending on your drying conditions, 3 years might be best. I stack in a high wind/sun area, and my 2 year old oak seems perfect.

Hopefully you can get the pine for real cheap - I wouldn't pay too much - perhaps $50/cord. I guess the issue is that if you find cut/split pine for sale, you are still paying for a man's time to cut and split a lot of wood, just low BTU wood, so I suppose it might be more expensive. Can you try to find some ash or cherry instead? You'll pay more, but it should be good to burn this winter if you get it stacked in good wind and sun - especially wind. Go single rows if you can with plenty of space between rows. Many more BTU's. Good luck!

Cheers!

Honestly for me I'd say free. If they're delivering I'd be willing to cover the cost of fuel. I have a bunch of dead pine here, I keep a little for myself but give the rest away. If you were in SE Michigan I'd hook you up. :)

NH_Wood said:
How long has the oak been split/stacked? I fully agree that leaving the oak for at least 2 years is best, and depending on your drying conditions, 3 years might be best. I stack in a high wind/sun area, and my 2 year old oak seems perfect.

Hopefully you can get the pine for real cheap - I wouldn't pay too much - perhaps $50/cord. I guess the issue is that if you find cut/split pine for sale, you are still paying for a man's time to cut and split a lot of wood, just low BTU wood, so I suppose it might be more expensive. Can you try to find some ash or cherry instead? You'll pay more, but it should be good to burn this winter if you get it stacked in good wind and sun - especially wind. Go single rows if you can with plenty of space between rows. Many more BTU's. Good luck!

Cheers!

Just split and stacked the oak in Jan and Feb, and am doing more now. Have been making the splits smaller than usual and cross stacking on pallets with lots of spaces for air flow.....I'm getting as much sun as I can but my lot is wooded with lots of trees, only an acre cleared in the middle of the 12 acres for the house and I'm limited on how much space I have with good sun and not much chance at a windy area. Around here the supply seems to be mostly oak, some beech, maple, and poplar. On my property in particular I've got mostly oak and sweet gum (which I hate), with a little Beech. I've got other property that I have access to but it's not worth buying a truck.....I've got everything else I need to exploit the timber on my property, splitter, saws, tractor, etc....so am just looking for enough pine to stretch the beech I have next winter.....

Why are you looking for pine? For low cost? I see it around here advertised for $100 cord c/s/d. It doesnt dry any faster than most hardwoods, oak is an exception. Why dont you cut and split some of the faster drying hardwoods you have, even poplar gives off some btu's.

If you sold pine by the cord here nobody would buy it unless selling it to campers.. Just how it is around here..

Ray

raybonz said:
If you sold pine by the cord here nobody would buy it unless selling it to campers.. Just how it is around here..

Ray

When I see it advertised they try selling it to fire pit users, although I may buy a cord for shoulder season

spur0701 said:
NH_Wood said:

Cheers!

Just split and stacked the oak in Jan and Feb, and am doing more now. Have been making the splits smaller than usual and cross stacking on pallets with lots of spaces for air flow.....I'm getting as much sun as I can but my lot is wooded with lots of trees, only an acre cleared in the middle of the 12 acres for the house and I'm limited on how much space I have with good sun and not much chance at a windy area. Around here the supply seems to be mostly oak, some beech, maple, and poplar. On my property in particular I've got mostly oak and sweet gum (which I hate), with a little Beech. I've got other property that I have access to but it's not worth buying a truck.....I've got everything else I need to exploit the timber on my property, splitter, saws, tractor, etc....so am just looking for enough pine to stretch the beech I have next winter.....

I see. That's tough - I'd not plan on the oak for this season, which is too bad - but, keep in mind, in two years you'll have some of the best fuel going. Call around to local firewood dealers and see if you can find cherry, white ash, and white birch - they season pretty quickly. I burned about 4 cord of white ash this year that was c/s/s in Jan/Feb (so about 9-10 months of drying). It burned well, although it became better and better through the winter as it sat in my dry barn. Cheers!

spur0701 said:
NH_Wood said:

Cheers!

You need a utility trailer...not a big one...a 5x10 would haul close to 1/2 cord of pine, even a 4x6 would be very handy...I prefer a solid wood floor but the lower cost ones usually have mesh...check the big box stores, craigslist, trailer companies, for-sale papers, etc.,. Trailers are lower to the ground than trucks and easier to load. You can haul wood to the house with it and if it's a small one you can pull it behind your lawnmower from woodpile to house. Trailers are very handy to have and are useful for many other things than hauling firewood.

FWIW

Best wishes,
Ed

ETA: I like trailers with larger (minimum 14") wheels/tires. The smaller trailers (less than 5x10) will usually come with 12" or smaller wheel assemblies...don't go smaller than 12", though...8" will not give you much ground clearance nor carrying capacity at all.

A cord of cut, split, & seasoned lodgepole pine goes for about $150 around here... for green wood still in rounds, I'd ask less than $100.

Around here, the only fair price for Pine is free. It is hard to even give it away.

In your area, $50 per cord delivered is about all I'd pay and chances are there are many who would deliver for that price too.

Just look up a tree service near you and tell them to drop off some. They have to pay landfill fees to get rid of it and will be glad to drop it at your place.

Pine around my area is pretty much free. I'm overwhelmed with pine and now refuse it. I scored thru an ad I put in CL about 10 cords - cut into about 20-24 inch pieces and anywhere from 8 to 24 or so inch diameter. Guy cleared a bunch of his land and wanted it gone. I was using my 4x8 trailer loading it by hand, taking about 1/2 cord at a shot (other nice thing is its only about 3 miles from my house) and he offered to let me use his larger trailer and he loads it with his tractor bucket too! Such a deal- got about 7 or so cords so far and hope to finish it up this weekend. Got about 2 cords split and after I get it done that will be my pine for say 5 years or so as I burn it at about a 1-3 ratio with my hardwood. Speaking of hardwood working on another score of some ash in the form of downed trees that I am cutting and hauling and figure I got about 2 cords going there. Should be my 2012 wood as its been down over a year. So work CL but have some patience- not sure how it is in your area but there seems to be legions of dopes that like to spend their time flagging posts on CL so you have to learn the ropes on where to post and how to word it. I wrote a humorous post that got flagged and deleted and got me called an %ss and other fun things- weird crowd that CL bunch but if you work the ad and watch for posts you should score some good stuff for free (and I always say "Free" with some sarcasm as bucking and hauling and splitting and equipment and poison ivy and gas and sore backs all have a COST! :) .
Good luck

Spruce delivered in rounds is $235 a cord. Pine if its available to purchase as a non mixed load would be more.
So there is your comparisons. Your pine would be less dense, so I would say it would season/dry faster than your hard wood.

I live in your area and honestly I would not pay more than 50 bucks for green pine in the round. Basically you are paying for the delivery. Pine around here is junk wood for most people and are just looking to get rid of it.
I noticed you said that you had beech and poplar on your property. Beech seems to season very fast and so if it was me I would pursue the beech (plus it's my preferred wood). If not, I would go after the poplar if you are looking for fast drying shoulder season wood. Just make sure you split small.
Myself, I just cut down a bunch of pines around my house and so I will be burning about three cords of it this season. I don't prefer it but if I got to cut it up anyway I might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.