Fake Stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Can anyone give some advice on fake stone products such as Versabrick for behind my wood stove? Also which brand of cement board (durock, hardiebacker etc.) should I use for behind and underneath my stove ie. must meet fire code requirements...and would be nice if it was "easy" to work with.

Why must it meet firecode requirements? Anything outside of the minimum clearance to combustibles can be, well, comustible. I have sheetrock behind my stove but it could be plywood too.

The wall behind the stove is going to be part of the "built in" heat shield to reduce the stove clearance, ie. sheet metal spaced out one inch covered by cement board. Should the hearth or floor pad not be fireproof material over the subfloor?

Even with the minimum clearances the material should be non combustible. I have had a stove just on the verge of being to close, nothing ever happened but we did burn a bit on the light side to avoid problems... If I was doing an install like that again I would do brick or rock behind as well as under.

what you see behing my stove is"fake" rock - there is about a one inch gap btwn wall and sheetrock which then the fake rock is on the sheet rock - doesnt matter how hot the stove is the wall would never burn

Attachments

• woodstove.jpg
    woodstove.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,588
heres another pic a little closer

Attachments

• 166471_10150097907686473_763626472_5905357_5255302_n.jpg
    166471_10150097907686473_763626472_5905357_5255302_n.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 554
By installing to the specs of this CMHC publication I can reduce the space (clearance) that my stove has to be from the wall by 67 percent.
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/ma...commonspot/security/getfile.cfm&PageID=189905
The guide calls for minimum of 29 gauge sheet metal spaced at least 7/8" from a combustible surface covered with ceramic tile or a similar non combustible material. I figured it would be easier to mount tile or cultured stone to cement board than it would be to sheet metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.