Falling tree kills camper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Very sad freak accident. Glad the kids are OK

Wow, that really sucks. What are the odds? Like getting struck by lightning?

As an avid hiker i fear this all the time when i set up my tent. specially when you see trees down all around you trying to pick a safe spot to set up camp is always a fear.

Wow, what a shame. My granddad was killed by a widowmaker years ago, so I'm always looking up when cutting or camping, but you just never know. A C

Happens more often than you might think. There was a scout campout a few years ago here, father/son in a tent. Kid woke up to father dead, smashed by a tree.

Had a tree nearly fall on my Jeep. Was out in the woods, and driving slow. Just as I went past the tree it fell across the trail. Would have smashed the Jeep in 1/2.

Always sad to hear about someone killed by a falling tree or branch.

Living so close to woodland, I tend to be quite wary of weak branches or damaged root systems after rain, but it doesn't matter how careful you are, accidents will sometimes just happen.

It's sad to hear a story like that and I feel sorry for the family! The thought of a tree falling on my house while I'm sleeping crossed my mind enough to make me cut 4 of em down this spring.

That is really sad, especially with young children involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.