fan in window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
There is lots of talk of fans used to move warm air, and I agree it works.....but if you put a window fan facing out, would it move the air quicker?

Could you clarify your question?

If you push air from inside the house to outside of the dwelling, that air needs to be replaced somewhere by cold air filling back in through outlets / door jambs / etc. If it's cold, it would take a heck of a fan to make that work since the cold air outside is much more dense than the warm air in your house, and the cold air wants to come in.

I think it's a better idea in general just to try and get the air within the dwelling to circulate well.

pen

You think that that was the question Pen?

Dune said:
You think that that was the question Pen?

My best guess.

Dune said:

Sure, if a window fan is blowing out in a colder room would it draw the warmer air into that room. Its understood that you would blow warm air out in time. Just kicking around some ideas is all.

Just trying to be clear, still not sure.
Are you saying a fan in an open window?
If so, Pen answered your question.

I think he means room-to-room. Not the traditional room-to-outdoors.
He's thinking outside the box fan.
My best guess.

ETA: upon re-read, I think Penn is right. He wants to blow the cold air out of the cold room. Forget what I said.
Also, I don't think it will be good.

pen said:
If you push air from inside the house to outside of the dwelling, that air needs to be replaced somewhere by cold air filling back in through outlets / door jambs / etc. If it's cold, it would take a heck of a fan to make that work since the cold air outside is much more dense than the warm air in your house, and the cold air wants to come in.

I think it's a better idea in general just to try and get the air within the dwelling to circulate well.

pen

This makes sense. My dining room is 20' directly opposite of my insert. But that room doesn't heat up as rapidly as the stove room. In order to move the warm air into the room quicker, I was thinking about putting a window fan blowing out to draw the warm air into the dining room. Then kill the fan when it warms as to not waste heat.

If you mean blowing air out of the house, it has to be replaced by outside air someplace. I'd say you're looking at a net loss.

There have been many posts on this site stating that the best way to move warm air from the room with the woodstove to a colder room is: put a box fan on the floor, in the doorway between the two rooms, and blow the cold air at floor level toward the warmer room with the stove. (That is, blow cold air out of the cold room into the warm room). Hope this answers your question.

jeff_t said:
If you mean blowing air out of the house, it has to be replaced by outside air someplace. I'd say you're looking at a net loss.

I figured it wouldn't work, but I wanted to maybe start some kinda buzz. Eh, I'll try harder.

James02 said:
jeff_t said:

I figured it wouldn't work, but I wanted to maybe start some kinda buzz. Eh, I'll try harder.

Good, because I figured you already had a buzz when you posted the OP.

Just kidding, couldn't resist.

James02 said:
Dune said:

Sure, if a window fan is blowing out in a colder room would it draw the warmer air into that room. Its understood that you would blow warm air out in time. Just kicking around some ideas is all.

Your avatar indicates a firefighter... if so, you already know how positive pressure ventilation works. Move the cold air (from outside the structure) to displace the warmer air from inside the structure. For heating the house, I find moving cooler air towards the stove (in my case a tower fan tucked in a corner pointing at the stove room door) works amazingly well at moving heat all over the house.

I have a double fan window mounted on a wall opening top header, moving hot air from the den where the insert is, to the kitchen, which is adjacent to the den. Between the den and the kitchen there is a wide walkaway opening, and a large window opening , this is where the window fan is mounted in, very close to the ceiling.

If this is what you are asking about then it works VERY well for me, it moves the hot air very fast from the den to the kitchen. I tried different ways but found this to work the best for my situation.

bluedogz said:
James02 said:
Dune said:

Your avatar indicates a firefighter... if so, you already know how positive pressure ventilation works. Move the cold air (from outside the structure) to displace the warmer air from inside the structure. For heating the house, I find moving cooler air towards the stove (in my case a tower fan tucked in a corner pointing at the stove room door) works amazingly well at moving heat all over the house.

His idea sounds like a smoke ejector. Old school....

Status
Not open for further replies.