Fan noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
On Friday night, after the wife turned off the TV and went to bed, I had just stoked up the stove and left the blower off waiting for the wood to char before setting the air. Anyway, I started hearing a strange fan noise... traced it to my HRV. I decided to turn it off since it was very cold out anyway and figured I'd check it out the next day.

With it off all night, it couldn't run the de-icing cycles so I had to blow some heat on it to melt the ice. Once the ice was gone, it would not make the same noise so figure ice buildup was the likely culprit. While I was at it, figured I may as well rip it apart, dry it out well, clean it, and inspect it. Found a lower seal compromised and the squirrel cage fans had a lot of dirt buildup. Replaced the seal, cleaned her all up and was impressed with how much quieter it was. Funny how noise sneaks up on you and you don't notice. Anyway, impressed with the results, I turned my attention to my stove's central heat blower.

It is a variable speed 650 CFM, 8 inch centrifugal in-line fan. I built a housing for it down in the crawlspace where it draws in cool air off the painted concrete floor through a prefilter. It then goes through a flexible noise reduction coupler into the housing which has a labyrinth muffler and a 16x25x1 Filtrete high particulate filter before going up through the floor into the bottom of the stove. Ja, I know... I'm anal about sound reduction.

After seeing the failed seal on the HRV and the amount of dirt on the fan, I figured maybe I could improve on this too. The bearings were good and not the source of vibration. Turned out to be mostly the dirt throwing the fan off balance. I may have to rethink the prefilter idea which is so coarse you can pour salt right through it. It was mainly to keep cat hair and dust bunnies from getting sucked into the fan. I wanted the high particulate filter on the discharge side to help muffle the noise. If one puts too much impedance on the intake, the fan blades will cavitate and make more noise whereas a bit of backpressure on the outlet side quiets it some.

Oh, I also found that the glue had let go on the seam of the noise reduction coupler so it was bypassing a lot of the air back to the intake. I can't believe they would not have sewn it. Anyway... it is much quieter now and moves a lot more air at lower speeds so I'm happy. As for rethinking the prefilter, maybe I should look into an electrostatic filter instead. I don't think they would provide very much impedance to airflow. Just so long as they don't produce ozone as I cannot tolerate even the smallest amount of it.

I'm impressed to say the least.

What does HRV stand for?

DanCorcoran said:
What does HRV stand for?

Heat recovery ventilator
It exhausts stale air from the house and brings in fresh air from outside. It has a heat exchanger or wheel which recovers the heat or cooling from the exhaust air, without transfering odors from the air, and transfers it to the incoming fresh air. This way you are replacing the air in the home with fresh and minimizing the waste of energy used to heat or cool that air. Pretty cool technology, which has been around for quite a while.

Heat Recovery Ventilator. Required by code on all new constuction.

GenuineHRV2.gif

Don't you get a lot of condensation when the warm, moist inside air hits the cold heat exchanger? Does it further dry your already dry(er) interior air?

DanCorcoran said:
Don't you get a lot of condensation when the warm, moist inside air hits the cold heat exchanger? Does it further dry your already dry(er) interior air?

1) Yes, but most units have a water drain tube on them to carry water away.
2) Yes they lower humidity which is beneficial, keeps the windows from sweating excessively, and the doors from freezing shut. :)

DanCorcoran said:
Does it further dry your already dry(er) interior air?
It dries the air that is being exhausted, not deliberately but by nature of how relative humidity is well... relative to the temperature. It doesn't dry the outdoor air that is pumped into the house.

An ERV will transfer some moisture back into the inbound air.

What does ERV stand for?

Have witnessed similar noise issues on my insert blower. I blow off the fins with a compressor and oil the bearings- problem solved. It's no hardship since the bearings require periodic oiling anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.