fans/blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddiefebuary

Jan 5, 2010
South Florida
How many of you have blowers/fans on your woodstoves or inserts? Are these absolutely necessary? When I eventually put in my fireplace I plan on using it mainly for ambiance and relaxation but want to be able to also use it to supplement central heating and be available to really put into use as a heater if the power goes out. With that said, I saw this on the Lopi brochure:

Cordless Hearth
Don't want a power cord running across the hearth? Lopi offers the option of adding the Insert Wiring Kit
that allows you the ability to hard-wire the insert convection fan to an electrical junction box mounted within
the fireplace. We recommend the Insert Wiring Kit be installed by a licensed electrician before the installation
of the insert.

I guess this wouldn't be too much of a big deal since I could have it done as the house was being built but was wondering if it was worth the extra hassle and expense.

’bert said:
Yes put it in now. It will be much less expensive to add an outlet or circuit during construction then to fish one in after the fact.

Yes, that was what I was thinking too. So it is definitely something I want to spend the extra money and something I would use?

Why build a fireplace to put in an insert? I would consider either putting in a freestanding stove with a good view or an EPA certified ZC fireplace that was a good heater.

BeGreen said:
Why build a fireplace to put in an insert? I would consider either putting in a freestanding stove with a good view or an EPA certified ZC fireplace that was a good heater.

I didn't know that was an option. I thought contactors just built normal firplaces and then it was up to us to make it into what we wanted. I'm glad I'm here! I have so much to learn.

Is this house actually in South Florida - if so, just wondering what kinds of winter temps you plan on battling?!

NH_Wood said:
Is this house actually in South Florida - if so, just wondering what kinds of winter temps you plan on battling?!

No, it will be my retirement home in Arkansas. I know I'm doing the opposite of what most people do....work elsewhere and retire in Florida but I have lived here since I was 13 and have grown to hate Florida.

I'm with BeGreen . . . I wouldn't build a fireplace just for an insert. If I had a masonry fireplace I would be more inclined to go with an insert . . . but not having a fireplace I would go with a free-standing stove.

Also . . . for the record . . . no blower here. I asked the Jotul dealer about a blower as this was an option for my free-standing stove . . . he said most folks didn't buy one or seem to need one, but in the case of a free-standing stove they would be easy enough to add later if I wanted one. Ran the stove all last year and didn't see the need for spending more money. I would think that an insert might want to have a blower however to move the heated air.

I routinely use the blower on my free standing stove for whole house heating. I did find that the stove will heat the majority of the living spaces w/o the fan, but it heats up much more quickly and to a higher temp with the fan on. It allows me to really utilize the 500-600 degree cast iron temps.

Eddie, I'm with you, been in Fla my whole life (42yrs) and I'll tell you I'm over it, can't wait till I retire and get out of here, I've been hating it for yrs but have a good job and only 8 more yrs till full retirement. Can't afford two properties though and always wanted a wood stove so this yr decided couldn't wait till I move and got one to install here.Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.