Farm & Fleet Splitter with a new Attitude

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba3228

Aug 30, 2011
central wisconsin
Hello all.

I thought I wood post some pics of our log lift conversion to the 22 Ton splitter my brother and I bought 10 years ago.

My brother had an oak tree that was dead and the power company wanted it down before it caused problems with their newly installed lines and power poles, the secondary to my brothers house was also not up to code standards, being another reason for the new configuration, any way this tree was no lie 4' at the base. (not the wood pictured her this was some cherry I split today)

I wondered how we were going to get that thing bucked and split. I went on a you-tube to hunt for the answer. Yep, log lift splitters. I sent the link to a local fellow that does fabricating and this is what we came up with.

As in the past we struggled with large lumps of wood to split my first answer was to take an 8' ladder and craddle it into th I beam of the splitter and roll the lump up the rungs, worked pretty good but still a pain in the back.

We had no tractor or equipment to do the lifting so this is now our pride and joy. $600.00 bucks later (and worth every penny)... here it is.

The back is a terrible thing to waste.

Bubba

Attachments

• IM000727.jpg
    IM000727.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 599
  • IM000733.jpg
    IM000733.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 590
  • IM000728.jpg
    IM000728.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 578
  • IM000732.jpg
    IM000732.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 605
Nice looking setup, well designed by the look of it. Don't let Dennis see that pic or you'll be in for a long lecture on vertical splitting. LOL A C

As a fellow log lifter dude - ooohh yeah, baby. Looks like a nice build. Welcome to the small, elite club of "neener, neener - I got a log lift" :)

Nice splitter bubba. If you dont mind me asking, what were your cost break down? I seen you said it cost $600

Ohio - The cost breakdown I can not remember for sure but I think it was around 150.00 for the valve and 250.00 or 300.00 for the ram, steel, hoses, and misc. the rest would be labor to the fellow that fabricated it. It was more efficient to let the fellow that fabricated it for us to do the shopping of the materials, that way he could get what he needed first hand.

The one thing we would do differently would be to isolated the lift control vavle from the ram control valve, as when a major load is put on the lift the splitting ram will creep forward.

The other thing we learned is that a flow reducer was required for the lift ram. Without it it was way too fast and dangerous.

If you are interested in making one or having one made for you I found putting "log lifting splitter" in the you tube search engine brought up some nice examples to draw from.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.