Farm Photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zelachowski

Jan 14, 2012
New England
Here are a couple pictures of our place from a few years ago. One is a shot looking north from across the field. The other one is just a picture from our driveway

Attachments

• Bald Mtn.jpg
    Bald Mtn.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 666
  • House in Snow.jpg
    House in Snow.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 682
Here are a few more for you to see. The one is from the house looking south across the field. The other is of a local Bobcat that likes to get after my wife's chickens. I took this out my office window one morning. He had been part of a study and weighs 35 lbs., note the red ear tag and radio collar.

Attachments

• Field and Fog.jpg
    Field and Fog.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 659
  • Bob Cat.jpg
    Bob Cat.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 671
Now that is a piece of heaven right there its very beautiful !

Pete

Nice zelachowski. Also not often folks get to take a picture of a bobcat so you are lucky there. Not so lucky with the chickens!

awesome, where in NH are you? how many acres?

Beautiful area...I miss NH except in the winter :)

Ahhh....!

Our farm has 53 acres and is surrounded by 1000's of acres of conservation land most of which is owned by Audubon. We are very fortunate to own this place and love it for what it is. Animals like the Bobcat are frequent visitors here, nothing to be afraid of they are just wandering through seeing what's going on. My wife's chickens do make a meal once in a while for these creatures, but that's the way it goes. It did get interesting back in 2008 when we lost power for 12 days. Our wood stove produced heat and the original well is higher on the hill than the house, so the waterline in the basement gave us all the water we needed. I was looking in the journal I write about our life here, a year ago today we had 42 inches of snow on the ground, today none. Thanks for the comments, I just thought I would share a few photos with the group. Enjoy the day. Ken

Beautiful place there. I am sure very peaceful.

Great pictures
You have a cool outside cat & a warm inside cat.
& I bet few rodents :)

Nice pictures. New Hampshire is one of my favorite states. Some of the best hiking, Fireworks are legal and no sales tax.

Very beautiful pics . . . thanks for sharing.

Beautiful. Your land/location are incredible.

How did you iinsulate your roof? There are no icicles in the snow picture! Since our houses are close in age, I'd like to know any tips/tricks you might have for that. :)

Hi, The photo shows the back wall of the house when I was fixing the sills and posts. While I had the walls open I rewired and added 4 inches of closed cell urethane sheets and I spray foamed around them for air sealing. The roof we did a little different, since it was just attic at the time. We had the roof sprayed with 4 inches of closed cell urethane and the gable walls as well. The roof we did it as a cold roof system by putting down 1"x4" strapping then 1/2" plywood. The bottom has screening to keep the bugs out yet let air pass through to the ridge vent on top. I'm impressed you noticed that there were no icicles, most people never notice. We have interior storm windows that help make the 1844 windows efficient. The floor has 2" of closed cell urethane, if we were going to air condition our living space I would not have done it. A good place to find information about insulating is this site, http://www.buildingscience.com/index_html. I don't do this as a profession, but I enjoy restoring old buildings, I've been doing for almost 30 years. Post some photos of you home if you have any, I would like to see your place.

Attachments

• Sills and Insulation.jpg
    Sills and Insulation.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 195
That is a beautiful place!

Status
Not open for further replies.