Farmhouse Table

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Began working on my new dining room table last nite. Started looking at farmhouse tables about a year ago online after I saw a crazy expensive one Robert Redford's Sundance magazine that my wife gets.

Kudos to these folks who came up with the plans (http://www.domesticated-engineer.com/1/post/2012/02/farmhouse-table-part-2.html).

I decided to rip & glue my tabletop to get a flat, smooth surface. All of the wood is pine and from my local lumber yard. More pics to follow as I progress.
Farmhouse Clamped.jpg
Farmhouse Top.jpg

I'd say it's gonna be a beauty. I'd have been sorely tempted to use a bunch of biscuits in the joints and a couple of nice long pipe clamps in addition to your strap...but hey, it looks like it came together just fine. There's more than one way to build a table. :) Looking forward to more pics as the project progresses. I love woodworking. Rick

Sweet I have been looking for a table like that on CL for quite a while...every one I like is big$$$. Nice job please post more pics as you go along.

Steve

Lookin good. It is important to wipe all glue joints before it dries as the color will remain in the grain after sanded. I'd recommend a Kreg jig from Rockler woodworking, as it makes nice, rock solid joints. You can even butt up planks like you did there with little glue. Can't wait to see it finished. Nice work.

I'd say it's gonna be a beauty. I'd have been sorely tempted to use a bunch of biscuits in the joints and a couple of nice long pipe clamps in addition to your strap...but hey, it looks like it came together just fine. There's more than one way to build a table. :) Looking forward to more pics as the project progresses. I love woodworking. Rick

That's exactly how my FIL built his last project. A Black Walnut table. Thing was gorgeous!

Looks great. Cant wait to see how it comes out once its completed. Robert Redford has nothing on you my man. lol

Thanks Kat and others. Table is just sitting indoors waiting for more sanding. Can't get it outside with all of this rain were having.

Status
Not open for further replies.