Farmi winch clutch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I was out winching/skidding at my buddies farm yesterday. The winch wasn't pulling like it did last winter when I borrowed the winch. It acted like the clutch wasn't fully engaging. Is that how it performs when it is -5F or is there some maintenance that needs to be done? It is the 601 and engine speed made a difference while last year I did nothing but idle with the same tractor.

Thanks, that is exactLEE what I hoped to hear.

It definitely worked better yesterday but still wasn't quite what I remember from last year. Maybe the difference is that I was sitting on top of a high embankment and this kept the butt end of the tree off the ground better. Either way, those winches rock and save a lot of labor and equipment wear and tear. There is no way we could have backed into the woods with that tractor and pulled out those size trees.

If you have slipped the clutch alot it might need adj. You want it to just freewheel. If it is too tight it won't let you pull it out with pto running.
Yes they are great for pulling out logs. I have a lot of wet ground and it's alot easier to pull them out than carring them out piece by piece. This year it's not been too deep of snow so I've been skiding whole trees 1/2 mile up here to the wood shed and cutting them up here. one less handling and with snow on the ground they stay clean. It did take two trips for the 36in hemlock.
leaddog

By freewheel, it should be a relatively effortless pull out? It does have tough spots but I assumed they were just how the cable was wound. I'll give it a try with the pto off and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.