Fatality in Mississippi

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That s not good.

Logging is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. You can not gaurd against it. It is just plain dangerous. Sorry for him.

R.I.P.

More than a few times while sitting at the campfire we've heard a tree loudly crash down on a still night. Whats really hairy imo is going into the woods when it's windy. I try and avoid it at all costs after seeing broken branches impaling themselves into the ground.

Subjective or objective danger. In my town we have an "EMT" that has killed 2 of his own very young children. He drove over one and felled a tree on the other one. Both subjective. My point is, most danger is subjective, if you use a little common sense and wisdom.

gzecc said:
Intheswamp said:
39 year old logger killed by falling tree...that had not been cut...and on his birthday...how do you guard against something like that?

http://www.wlbt.com/global/story.asp?s=13853238
I am skeptical about eyewitness account of them not even working on the tree that killed him.
I don't know, the authorities are apparently backing up that story...they can probably tell that the trunk hasn't been pushed or cut on. I would imagine that they had heavy equipment operating...skidders, harvesters, whatever operating. If the ground was soft (probably was in MS) simply running heavy equipment *close* to large trees can weaken the root system...one reason timber on soft ground is often clear cut.

Sad, whatever the case may be...young fellow with a grieving family and friends.

Ed

savageactor7 said:
R.I.P.

More than a few times while sitting at the campfire we've heard a tree loudly crash down on a still night. Whats really hairy imo is going into the woods when it's windy. I try and avoid it at all costs after seeing broken branches impaling themselves into the ground.

Yes, sad indeed.

Savageactor, we have a hard and fast rule here. No walking in the woods during high winds! We have paths through the woods my wife uses for walking exercise and we both use sometimes just to relax. High wind; no walk.

Wow cant really guard against that. You would think you could hear it falling.

Jay, he probably still had ear plugs in. Even without them, you know how your hearing is dulled for a while after using them and running the saw.

trehugr said:
Subjective or objective danger. In my town we have an "EMT" that has killed 2 of his own very young children. He drove over one and felled a tree on the other one. Both subjective. My point is, most danger is subjective, if you use a little common sense and wisdom.

what a terrible burden to bear and go through life with. can't imagine it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, he probably still had ear plugs in. Even without them, you know how your hearing is dulled for a while after using them and running the saw.

Very hard to say, would hate to be on that crew. My Brother had a guy dye on his lap driving down the road a day before retirement. SUCKS! ( He thought he was playing around)

I dont even go hiking or morel mushroom hunting in May anymore if its a real windy day.Had a couple close calls with old snags coming down.Not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.