Favorite brand pellets/ worst brand pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD2011

Aug 28, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm a newbie with a Harmon P43. After reading this forum for a few months, I'm thinking that I lucked out when I bought a ton of Green Supremes at Lowe's back in August, most of you seem to like this brand of pellet.

In many threads, people mention their best/worst pellets, but I thought it would be easier for us newbies to see your opinions all in one thread.

So..... please... to help out us newbies...list your favorite brands of pellets and the pellets you just won't use!!

thanks a bunch!!

Favorite's are Spruce Pointes, Okies, Cubex, Turmans and Hamer Hot Ones! :coolsmile:

Worst is Inferno's/Nations Choice! Yuk!!!! :sick:

Favorite's for me, Excellent - Hamers Hot Ones, Hardwood Heat (Repackaged Hamer's), Turman, Somerset

Middle of the road, OK - Pennwood, AWF, Green Team

Not so good, I will not use - Juniata (Energex), There was another one, just can't remeber at the moment which one.

I'm always trying 2 or 3 bags of new brands, that I run across of, if I haven't used them before. Always try a couple bags 1st, before you buy a ton of them. You have your good ones & bad ones. Some burn better for other people'e stoves, but never seem to burn good in my stove. I must have tried maybe 20-25 different brands since burning pellets (5 years).

Favorites Somersets, hardwood heat

least favorite AWP local brand decent heat alot of ash and th occasional clinker

Favorites..Turman, Cubex (Can't get them anymore), Barefoot and Okies.

Least Favorite(Actually, I have a passionate HATE for)......New England, Maine Wood Pellets and Inferno!

Really liked Granules LG, CleanFire Softwood, Hated the Penningtons!!!

I like Blazer Pellet, MFG West Oregon Wood Products.
I dislike Future Fuel, burns like chit.....

Green team runs great in my stove, the worst for me would be fireside.

I haven't run into any I really dislike except Pennywise. Piles of ash and lots of pellets that were 2.5 inches or longer. I didn't see those for sale this year, maybe they went away. I've never seen Inferno for sale around here but based on what I read, if I did see them I'd probably run.

j-takeman said:
johnnycomelately said:
Cubex (Can't get them anymore)

Why can't you get any????
My dealer does not carry them or he can't get them.

Somerset and Country Boy are the best in this area.

I would stay away from Kentucky Kernal and Southern Indiana Hardwood pellets.

In no particular order:
Vermont wood
Somerset
Blazers
Engergex Green bag (fireside ultra from Canada)
Spruce Pointe
Okies
LG's

Worst.......Inferno/Nations Choice

oldmountvernon said:
johnnycomelately said:
j-takeman said:
johnnycomelately said:
Cubex (Can't get them anymore)

Why can't you get any????
My dealer does not carry them or he can't get them.

Dealer near me said Cubex laughed at him when he asked when his next shipment was to arrive

So I should include Cubex in the list of pellets that are in limited supply???

oldmountvernon said:
I cant say that J but i can say he said Cubex were on order, a week later i asked whats up his reply was " Cubex basically laughed at me "
But i guess we could assume that supply is limited.

Must be a regional thing, I have basically an unlimited supply of cubies from my dealer here. He doesn't keep them around for long and is always getting more.

Limited experience here in the pellet desert of NW OH, but favorite is Prest O Logs. Worst is Eco Flame. Only heat those produce is the smoke coming out of my ears over how crappy they are.

All the Oregon manufactured pellets are very good: Blue Mt, Bear Mt, & Blazers.

The worst are the Pennington's that the local Wal-Mart stocks.

Top self for my area is Somersets and Hardwood Heat.

Middle shelf — Stove Chow and Old Dominion (new this year)

Way at the bottom Nations choice. BLAAAAA!!!!!!!

Favorites: Spruce Pointe, Okanagans, & Dragon Mountain

Worst so far: Inferno
(in fairness, I have not tried them this year so don't know if they have gotten any better)

tinkabranc said:
Favorites: Spruce Pointe, Okanagans, & Dragon Mountain

(in fairness, I have not tried them this year so don't know if they have gotten any better)

Wow Dragon Mountain I would buy those just for the name. Wish we had them down here.

tinkabranc said:
I'd be willing to bet my left nut that they have not gotten any worse! :snake:

johnnycomelately said:
tinkabranc said:
I'd be willing to bet my left nut that they have not gotten any worse! :snake:

Be careful what you bet on.

from the ones I have tried...

Favorites= Lignetics. ( don't recall anyone listing these. lignetics were the talk of the town about 3 or 4 years ago when I joined the forum.)
Barefoot
Dry creek
Cubex

Least Favorite= Instant heat
Presto logs
New england

I have used others, can't recall them though.

Favorites are Wood Pellet Co. and Greenway Super Premiums.

Never Use Again are Juniatas made by Energex. I think they are made of punky, wet, sumac.

gyingling said:
Never Use Again are Juniatas made by Energex. I think they are made of punky, wet, sumac.
Punky wet sumac.... LMFAO!

Status
Not open for further replies.