Favorite thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
I'll get one for the top of my new ivory oslo - do you have a favorite/know which work better/look better?

I have a condar medallion, it's good looking and almost accurate.

I prefer the probe style to any stove top. They are more accurate, and dont clutter up the top of the stove!

A probe 18" above the outlet is my set-up. Make sure you seal the space in between the double-walls if you are using them. Also it voids any warranty and becomes un-certified once you drill.

Condar on my stovetop and as my probe thermometer in the stove pipe. Cheap Harbor Freight IR gun as a back-up and toy for the cats.

The round magnetic Condor thermometers are great. Avoid the similar ones from Rutland. The Rutland ones stick. I had two of them and threw them out, replacing with Condor.

I'm pretty sure most folks aren't use condors to figure out the stove temp . . . unless they really are sticking the poor birds on to their stoves and if they start squawking a lot it means the stove is getting too hot. ;) :)

Sorry, I realize it's easy to slip up and replace the "a" with the "o" . . . but the image of folks placing a large bird on their stove was just too funny of an image in my head to not share.

I used a Rutland last year, but it sticks. I think it registers too low sometimes and stays at 600F no matter what. Just ordered a Condar.

firefighterjake said:
I'm pretty sure most folks aren't use condors to figure out the stove temp . . . unless they really are sticking the poor birds on to their stoves and if they start squawking a lot it means the stove is getting too hot. ;) :)

Sorry, I realize it's easy to slip up and replace the "a" with the "o" . . . but the image of folks placing a large bird on their stove was just too funny of an image in my head to not share.

Actually, this works great! Once the stove top reaches 600F, the condor spontaneously combusts, signaling optimal operating temps. Securing the condor, however, is another problem altogether. :cheese:

I have a rutland that isn't too sticky but could be that a condor slides real easy.

I could swear that there is a military plane called a condor.

I would like a higher quality meter that has a glass face and uses the full sweep. Bigger numbers too. Real nice would be one that I could read from the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.