Feed chamber on Accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kilarney

Mar 1, 2008
Vermont
How difficult is it to access the feed chamber on the Harman Accentra insert? I'd like to clean it out prior to my next professional cleaning. I've read the manual, but I'm not sure if I need the "rails" or not. Is there an easy way to access the chamber without needing the rails to slide the stove out?

The Rails are very expensive.

most folks just buy a 2x4, cut in half & use that instead. Works pretty well.

As to cleaning the feed chamber: I am not certain what that is.

there is a small chamber that collects fines from the Auger (to keep it from binding). that can be cleaned out if you pull the stove out half way (no rails required)

The Pellet hopper you can reach into from the top.

Anton Smirnov said:

there is a small chamber that collects fines from the Auger (to keep it from binding). that can be cleaned out if you pull the stove out half way (no rails required)
That's the one I was talking about. Can I pull the stove out without 2x4s or rails and get at this chamber? Also, how does that work when the stove is connected to the stovepipe?

Newbie, I know...

kilarney said:
Anton Smirnov said:

That's the one I was talking about. Can I pull the stove out without 2x4s or rails and get at this chamber? Also, how does that work when the stove is connected to the stovepipe?

Newbie, I know...

yes. you can pull the stove far enough out on the frame that you can reach in. just make sure that you disconnect any the wires as described in the manual.

the stove connects to the flue via a viton gasket. the latches that hold the stove in place snug it up to the gasket as well. release the catches, and the whole thing slides out.

It's always best to inspect the gasket when you take the stove apart to make sure that it is in good condition, and you can't do that without pulling the stove all the way out onto rails. But if you have been burning for a only a single winter, you can assume that it's still ok, if you absolutely must get into the stove and you don't have the 2x4s.

I strongly advise you to get some 2x4s from the local hardware store. If you go to Home Depot, they will even cut them for you.

Thanks a lot. That makes things much more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.