Feed rate vs. Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

STANG302

Nov 10, 2009
Osceola, WI
Hooked my QF Santa Fe to a programmable thermostat. Now the question is to get the most out of it and use the least amount of pellets possible. Should the stove be set to High or Mid heat settings?

Not sure if there's any right or wrong to this, but from what I have read, most stoves on a stat usually are set to around a medium heat setting. My Englander manual recommends a setting of 5, which is right in the middle.

If you run a lower setting (Med) the stove will run longer, but it will give the room a better "Soak Temp". Which means will stay off longer also.

Running on High, will heat the room up quickly (only heating the air) and shut off faster. But it will cycle on faster again, beacsue the objects in the room/home didnt get a good "Soak".

I would go lower. But everyones situation is different. My CB 1200 enabled me to just run on Low (on a stat in the shoulder seasons). In the dead of Winter, it runs on Low 24/7 and gets it done. The house is much more comfortable this way. IMO

Everyones needs are different. Best to try both methods and see what works for you.

DexterDay said:
If you run a lower setting (Med) the stove will run longer, but it will give the room a better "Soak Temp". Which means will stay off longer also.

Running on High, will heat the room up quickly (only heating the air) and shut off faster. But it will cycle on faster again, beacsue the objects in the room/home didnt get a good "Soak".

I would go lower. But everyones situation is different. My CB 1200 enabled me to just run on Low (on a stat in the shoulder seasons). In the dead of Winter, it runs on Low 24/7 and gets it done. The house is much more comfortable this way. IMO

Everyones needs are different. Best to try both methods and see what works for you.

Is the pellet stove on low the only thing heating your house? If so very impressive. First year with the thermostat for me and I leave the high on setting 3 which is the highest I would ever need to go.
As far as the point of "SOAK" I am not sure how much of a difference it makes on a normal thermostat that has a one degree swing. Mine is set at 70....goes on high at 69 goes to low at 71. Works great and save me pellets over last year when I would always be at the setting higher than really needed.

IHATEPROPANE said:
DexterDay said:

Is the pellet stove on low the only thing heating your house? If so very impressive. First year with the thermostat for me and I leave the high on setting 3 which is the highest I would ever need to go.
As far as the point of "SOAK" I am not sure how much of a difference it makes on a normal thermostat that has a one degree swing. Mine is set at 70....goes on high at 69 goes to low at 71. Works great and save me pellets over last year when I would always be at the setting higher than really needed.

Yep. Low... Until temps get near 0*. New home (2,180 sq) with new windows (still put up plastic window kits), and lots of sealing and caulking.

Last year was the 1st year we ran 24/7. Year before we would when we were home. But ran Med and T-stat while gone.

With it just idleing away, it heats this place to about 74*. Using about 2 bags a day. This year I installed the pellet furnace and woodstove. So the Quad sees very little action.

DexterDay said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
DexterDay said:

Thats awesome...In the real cold I go almost 3 bags a day. I have to work on improving the insulation in my house. My bigggest problem is a crawlspace basement that gets down to 32 degrees. My floors are like ice.....

Yep. Low... Until temps get near 0*. New home (2,180 sq) with new windows (still put up plastic window kits), and lots of sealing and caulking.

Last year was the 1st year we ran 24/7. Year before we would when we were home. But ran Med and T-stat while gone.

With it just idleing away, it heats this place to about 74*. Using about 2 bags a day. This year I installed the pellet furnace and woodstove. So the Quad sees very little action.

Status
Not open for further replies.