Feed Rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
I don't think I'm having a problem, but its got me thinking. I keep my Sante Fe feed rate where the screw is set in the middle of the slider if you know what I mean. I usually keep my stove on high since I have a whole 1200 square feet to heat. The flame is usually pretty good, hovering about 4-6 inches above the pot. I mean when I first start it up the flame is lower till it gets going more. And doesn't really have to do with the pellets your using ?? I'm currently burning Pro Pellets. But any suggestions or thoughts ??

I got this from the manual

E. Fire Characteristics
A properly adjusted fire with the heat output control switch
set on “high” has a short active flame pattern that extends
out of the firepot approximately 4 inches (102mm). If the fire
has tall flames with black tails and seems somewhat lazy,
the feed rate will need to be reduced. This is done by sliding
the fuel adjustment control rod down, which will reduce the
feed. If the fire is not 4 inches (102mm) tall, slide the fuel
adjustment control rod up to increase the feed. A medium
and low setting will give a shorter flame. The flame will rise
and fall somewhat. This is normal.
Figure 25.1
The feed adjustment control rod is factory set, and should
be adequate for most fuels. However, if the flame height is
too high or too low, you will need to adjust the feed rate. Wait
until the appliance has been burning for 15 minutes before
making your adjustments and allow 15 minutes for feed
adjustment to take effect.
F. Feed Rate Adjustment Instructions
1. Loosen the set screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn during set-up
of appliance. This will allow movement of the feed
adjustment control rod. Do not re-tighten set screw.
2. Loosen the wing nut.
3. Adjust the feed adjustment control rod upward towards the
"+" symbol to increase the feed rate and flame height or
down towards the "-" symbol, to decrease the feed rate
and flame height.
4. Re-tighten the wing nut.

What I used to do with my quad is back the fuel gate down until the fire was fluctuating(The flame will rise
and fall) and slowly pull it out until the fire was a consistent flame. I did it for every brand of pellets I changed to. On the colder days I would pull the rod up more to get more heat but not much more than 1/4 inch.

Well sometimes especially the first hour its on, the flame will rise and fall from 4" down to the top of the pot and back up. But once its on for alittle while it seems to stay pretty even and about 4 inches or higher. I think mine is set good for the pellets I use. But once this winter when I throw the Somersets in i'm going to put just a quarter of the bag in because i'm expecting to crank it down alittle. I heard on this forum that someone has his all the way down and uses it like that, but I think on high the pot might not get enough pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.