Feed the pig......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuelfarmer

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2010
VA
There is a commercial (PSA) on the radio where they say "feed the pig". I think they want us to feed the piggie bank, and save for a rainy day. Although somewhat unrelated, when it is time to fill the wood chip bin I hear "feed the pig" in my mind.

So here I am feeding the pig..... And hopefully saving a little money.
dock3.jpg

Reactions: hobbyheater
Gives me the willies seeing that skidsteer up on that platform like that with no roll cage on it.

Impressive looking setup though - more pics?

Nice setup! oink oink

Sweet! !! More pics.... Thats an awesome set-up you've got there...

Nice... Quite the set-up.

How many sq ft are you heating with that? Whats the BTU output on a !! Monster !! like that?

The building is 30,500 sq. ft. The unit is called a 500,000 BTU boiler. Not sure if that is in-put or out-put. The out put I am seeing is 400,000 BTUs plus or minus 10% or so. The measuring equipment I have is not the most accurate, but I hope to tweak a few more BTUs out of the unit over time. 500,000 is on the low side of what I need. There are plenty of profane,( that's propane to most of you) heaters to take up the slack for now.

Wood chip boilers are quite facinating to me..... There are several schools here in Maine that heat with them now. That is a great looking setup you have there!! Is that polyethelene pipe that supplies the building? Buried in the ground?

There is a mix of piping. Black iron on the boiler, rubber hose for a shot distance to 2 in. copper that runs to the storage tank. Piping is above ground. Most is insulated with fiberglass pipe insulation covered with PVC drain pipe. I also am using a little of the foam pipe insulation.

Cool set up you got their fuelfarmer! Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.