FELLING WEDGE size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
I was cutting some oak this weekend, blown over trunks are partly suspended off the ground about 3ft (trees are 16-24" diameter). Well after about 3 pinched bars I figured I need some wedges. Used a steel splitting wedge to get the bar out and finish the cut, but that makes me kind of nervous. Carlton bar held up well though no damage.

I was looking at the plastic orange ones on baileys. Is a 10in wedge a good all around size for felling and bucking? or do I need to order a few of different sizes. Largest wood I cut will be 2ft dia and smallest is probably 6-10in dia.

Tony

Mine's around 10" or so. Buy a couple for the few times that they are needed. Also I may use the steel wedge just to open the crack and not beat the plastic to death, just make sure to remove it before using the saw. Even better, work so the tree falls properly, course that's not always possible and a wedge saves the day. Be safe.
Ed

Bucking shorter the better.

Hi - I take a pair of 8" wedges and a 6" wedge when I'm felling. The 6" I keep really handy sticking it in shortly after I 'think' the bar is deep enough... Since I'm WRONG once in a while the wedges do take some abuse. All have teething marks on them. One cracked last week in near zero temps. The chain nicks and cold probably had something to do with it.

Enjoy! It sure beats taking the bar off or fetching another saw!

I have 6", 8" and 10" ones. They come in handy in a pinch!

In a pinch I find myself looking for dead standing Elm, and noodle cut some quick! If the center of the tree feels soft I don't like to load up one small area pounding a single point really hard. More are better.

I always have one in the thigh pocket of my chaps so it's handy to grab on those occasions when I wasn't 'planning' on needing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.