Fiberglass -- need to be sure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mj5001

Oct 15, 2011
United States
I already asked but want to be absolutely sure before I do the work.

I know there are superior types of insulation out there but I was told that it's fine to use an unfaced fiberglass insulation on my liner.

It's good to 1200 degrees?

Thanks.

As far as I know, it is good temperature wise, but probably not too good on your lungs. I THINK that the mineral wool that is used standard is probably safer.

I always put the MAPP torch on stuff I use around the stove and chimney. Make sure you are outside and don't breathe the fumes. It is nice to read the published information about building materials, but I'm from Missourah. I use the IR thermometer at the same time. It only goes up to 999 °F , but gives me an idea what stuff looks like as it heats up.

Negative on the fiberglass. It may not"burn" but, if it will melt prior to 2100.
If you read the MSDS for say Owens Corning's Pink unfaced stuff, it says not flammable, but did not see a melting point.
It does advise to use full self contained breathing apparatus, and full fire fighting gear as protective equipment, assuming this is when there is a fire around it. And lists Hazardous combustion byproducts such as Carbon Monoxide , Carbon Dioxide, Ammonia and other "undetermined" byproducts could be released in small quantities.
That is enough for me that I would never use it for around a wood stove, liner or piping.

Use the right stuff and be done with it. This is not one place you want to cheap out of cut corners when burning wood.

I found Roxul at Lowes...Home Depot folks looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked for it. Good luck!

Fiberglass insulation is too combustible for this application. Not rated for it. Comes down to the difference between combustible and flammable.

Bottom line--right tool for the right job. Roxul.

Hogwildz said:
Negative on the fiberglass. It may not"burn" but, if it will melt prior to 2100.
If you read the MSDS for say Owens Corning's Pink unfaced stuff, it says not flammable, but did not see a melting point.
It does advise to use full self contained breathing apparatus, and full fire fighting gear as protective equipment, assuming this is when there is a fire around it. And lists Hazardous combustion byproducts such as Carbon Monoxide , Carbon Dioxide, Ammonia and other "undetermined" byproducts could be released in small quantities.
That is enough for me that I would never use it for around a wood stove, liner or piping.

Use the right stuff and be done with it. This is not one place you want to cheap out of cut corners when burning wood.

Ditto!

You can cut corners on kitchen cabinets, floor tiles, wall paint and carpet, but don't cut corners on the design and install of your fireplace.
There are a lot of things that go wrong.

Study up, spend a few extra dollars and do it correctly.

Like the others said, use the Roxul mineral wool. Safe on your lungs (although you don't want to deliberately breath it), totally fireproof (I did the reneck mapp torch test, and I approved it) and relatively inexpensive. Lowe's is carrying it now, so you should be able to find it. And some of the additional perks of using it: its amazingly soundproof and totally mold resistant, even when soaking wet. Stay away from fiberglass, just like Hogwildz said. That stuff is bad all around if you ask me...did he mention the formaldehyde they use in it? yeah, like thats any good for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.