Fiberglass/Poly roofing panels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
I am going to use these for a wood shed. Can I get away with 24" spacing on the roof rafters in Southeastern Massachusetts?
For a 30 psf, it calls for a max span of 30" so I would assume that 24" would be over spec?

I have never worked with the corrugated panels and Lowes is no help.
I wish I could find them somewhere else local...............

Just put some 2x4 perlins between the rafters (perpendicular) to the rafters 24 oc. If 30 lb snow load is enuf, wouldnt be here If I dont build to at least 40 the 1st good snow is gonna bring it down without some center support

You need to have support under the panels, such that the grooves run up and down, and the support runs across. If your rafters run crossways you may be OK, if they run vertically I'd but some 1x3 or 4 strapping every 16" or so. On my own shed, I have 3 rafters running cross ways on an 8' span, which would NOT be enough by themselves, but I also had a bunch of trash picked PT decking boards that I put diagonally across the rafters (to maximize the coverage per board length) with about a boards worth of space between each one, and that gives me (barely) enough support that it hasn't collapsed yet...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.