File Size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
For the 3/8 inch chain pitch Stihl recommends a 13/64 round file, I also see that some use a 7/32 round file on the same chain, what works best?

zap

i don't know which one works best. I've only ever used the 7/32. Don't remember why or how I chose it, i just did. I know this has been discussed over on AS several times, though.

PS, don't ask me how well the chains I sharpened with that cut. they aren't for me, lol.

i don't know which one works best. I've only ever used the 7/32. Don't remember why or how I chose it, i just did. I know this has been discussed over on AS several times, though.
I grabbed a new file this morning (bought a new box last year in Boonville) noticed they were 7/32. I read some of the post on AS, seems that there is not much of a difference.

I'll try it again tonight in the garage, need to drop the raker height too.

I was only cutting basswood today but the sharpening with the file I did in the garage early this morning seem to be fine.

zap

I'm not a very good hand filer, I noticed that it makes it easier to make even cutters on both directions for me.

Even with the Timberline on my bench, I still love my dremel with the 7/32" stone. I can get 'er RAZOR sharp with that thing, a whole 28" chain in around 3 minutes, on the saw! Trick is to not take too much off of one side verses the other. I also take the rakers down ever-so-slightly more that yer supposed to, but my saws are ported (except for the 372XP, that may have to happen this winter) so they seem to handle the extra large chips just fine.......

Even with the Timberline on my bench, I still love my dremel with the 7/32" stone. I can get 'er RAZOR sharp with that thing, a whole 28" chain in around 3 minutes, on the saw! Trick is to not take too much off of one side verses the other. I also take the rakers down ever-so-slightly more that yer supposed to, but my saws are ported (except for the 372XP, that may have to happen this winter) so they seem to handle the extra large chips just fine.......
I see them (dremels) being used at Tupper Lake by the chainsaw carvers.
zap

On all the 3/8 chains 7/32 round file freehand is what I've used for over 20 yrs.Started with Granberg guide before that,once that was mastered its just 5 minutes tops for everything except the 36" full comp.

Wee Echo takes 5/32 round file,with only 45 drivers its almost done after 2 sneezes.

Reactions: ScotO and zap
For the 3/8 inch chain pitch Stihl recommends a 13/64 round file, I also see that some use a 7/32 round file on the same chain, what works best?

zap

Both work fine, some have reported 7/32 being a bit easier to file with. I personally use the 13/64 since all of my chain is Stihl chain. ;)

7/32 is pretty universal amongst the other brands however.

Reactions: Nixon and zap
Really splitting hairs now zap. ;) But i will play: Big saw big chips with the bigger file bigger gullet better clearance. (Not by much but its all about the details)
I happen to snag a few gross of the 7/32 for free so its a no-brainer! :(

Reactions: zap
Don't think 1/64 makes that much difference.
I believe it's more "Stihl" vs. the rest of the chain manufacturers. Just something to be a little different.
But, I could be wrong. A Stihl chain, sharpened with 13/64 file, vs a 7/32 file, may cut 1/64 of a second faster in a standard 12" log. :)

5 mm (13/64) vs 5.5 mm (7/32)
Stihl uses metric vs Oregon uses inches.

Reactions: smokinj and jeff_t
Status
Not open for further replies.