Filling and Purging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

in hot water

Jul 31, 2008
SW Missouri
Filling and purging a new or remodeled system can be a frustrating process. To be able to "push" air from a piping system you need enough water flow to "plug the hole" and circulate the air back to the purge point. To do this adequatly you need a means to flow a good gpm into the system. if you have an automatic fill valve, most have a fast fill lever or mechanism. This allows a higher pressure, more gpm, to flow.

Even with a fast fill device you may need to break the system into pieces and flush one piping subset at a time. Isolation valves allow you to "valve off' sections to assure you have enough flow to properly purge the system. It is almost impossible to purge the entire system with a central fill and just one purge point. You just can't predict where the water will flow. Water will always find the shortest, less restrictive route back to the purge opening.

There are valves built specfically for that purpose that allow you to shut off the flow and provide a good hose connection to purge air.

If you are piping with primary secondary they also build a multi purpose valve to allow you to purge and pump from one fitting. Or build one with multiple valves and a hose cock.

Once you can establish flow, a central air purger will take care of smaller bubbles. The pump needs to circulate to finish the job, if the circ pump air locks you need to re-purge the system, you still have larger air pockets than the pump can move.

The older style cast iron ramp scoops work fairly well IF you can slow the flow enough for the air to rise to the upper portion and vent out. You want 18" of pipe up stream for the floe to straighten and slow for them to work well. They never get the tiny micro bubbles out unless the small bubbles meet up and form larger bubbles.

The newer style micro bubble devices all have a mesh or rings that capture the tiny bubbles and force them int larger bubbles to vent out.

These became very important with small passage way boilers and small id radiant tube, as small bubbles could cause no flow conditions and over heating in the boilers.

Small bubbles anywhere in the system will limit heat exchange as they cling to the metal surfaces.

With large radiant zones it is helpful to valve one loop at a time for purging. This is critical if you have loops of different lengths. A manifold with individual shut offs at every branch helps.

Another common method to fast purge a system is connect a hose to the bottom of the boiler and allow the pressure to rise just below the relief valve setting, 28 psi or so.

It can take 20- 30 minutes to purge a large system. The more piping, HX coils, etc the longer it will take. Storage tanks with large arrays of copper coil can take some patients to purge, those should always have isolation and purge cocks in my opinion.

Use a short hose, like a wash machine hose on your purge valve. Put the loose end into a 5 gallon bucket of water to see the air bubbles come out. When it runs bubble free for 2- 3 minutes that zone is done. Valve it off and move to the next loop or zone.

But the key is properly placed isolation valves and purge cocks, it's hard to "over-valve" a mechanical room. the more you have the ability to isolate the quicker and more efficient the purge process will be. Here are some examples of speciality valves developed to help purging large systems.

There are a number of two in one devices, as shown that can do air and dirt removal. also some 3 in 1 that are hydraulic separators, dirt, and air removal in one box.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.27.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.27.27 PM.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 527
  • Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.28.44 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.28.44 PM.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 450
  • Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.26.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.26.04 PM.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 469
  • Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.27.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-16 at 4.27.53 PM.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 433
I have these for my manifolds, on the ends you can attached a hose. They are expensive though, $300-500 each depending on how many outlets.

rehau-manifold.jpg

NATE379 said:
I have these for my manifolds, on the ends you can attached a hose. They are expensive though, $300-500 each depending on how many outlets.

rehau-manifold.jpg

Ya I have the watts version of those you can purge each individual loop by closing all the other loops

How less effective are scoops with less then 18" pipe upstream? I've only got about 10"...and that was done by a "Pro". It would be really hard to add more pipe upstream at this point.

Also, from what I've read it's ideal to add these air removal devices (scoops, micro bubble or what have you) on the hot outlet side of the boiler. I was thinking about adding another device close to my wood boiler but putting it on the hot side would be tricky, how much effectiveness would I lose by putting it on the cold return side? I really didn't plan on putting another in but at this point might help my single scoop out.

Speaking of my scoop, in your other post I asked about the auto vents sticking. I took mine apart over the weekend and cleaned it up. It was full of sticky black stuff that I'm 99% sure is from the failed bladder in my expansion tank. It wasn't easy to clean but it seems to be working now. I just hope that stuff didn't foul up anything else. Lets hope my new tank lasts longer then then the failed one...I think it was only 7 years old.

Great post, thanks for putting in the time to help amateurs like me out!

K

great options on that manifold, flow indicators, valve options and nice purge cocks on both manifolds. It can be done with one central purge point if you have isolation valves in critical spots.

The ramp style will do some air removal even with a short run upstream, it really depends on how fast you are flowing thru 'er. The other thing those type of scoops do is present a wide spot in the road. When fluid sees a wide spot it slows it's velocity to help the bubbles rise up and out. But in that style vent it still needs to find that small opening in the air vent. With the separators the whole device acts as a wide spot and the mesh is the secret to micro bubbles.

Keep an eye on that black goo. I had a few system where it kept re-occuring and it turned out to be an iron bacteria. Weird stuff that actually eats ferrous components. Expansion tanks pin hole first, then it goes after the pump bodies. On one job you could actually carve away at the inside of the pump volute with a pocket knife.

If the water smells like rotten eggs, or sulpher water it could be a bacteria. The smell is actually bacteria farts that it gives off as it consumes the metal. The problem showed up in a few jobs in one area of the county. Turns out the well driller had the bacteria on his points and drill rods and was spreading it around in every well he drilled. It actually attacked the well casing also.

Yes the hottest spot in the system is the best place to grab air. Just after the boiler is ideal. Multiple air eliminators can be used in complex piping jobs. Always a central device, small float type on manifolds the top of storage tanks, etc.

hr

Maybe since it's related, different ways to incorporate filters can be shown too? Quite important on a new install. Think we all know about the standard Y one, but are there other better ones, and how many and where should they be?

Great post! Unfortunately it was about 60 hours too late to save me a lot of headaches!! ;)

I will say that my standard air scoop and my taco micro bubble scoop really helped once the air locks and big bubbles had escaped. It also seems to help running my alpha pumps on level III for a short while and then back to auto.

Glad you are up and flowing. All the air should eventually be scrubbed with those devices. IF for some reason air continues to be in the system, lock down all the vent caps to be sure you are not sucking air into the system somehow.

hr

in hot water said:
Keep an eye on that black goo. I had a few system where it kept re-occuring and it turned out to be an iron bacteria. Weird stuff that actually eats ferrous components. Expansion tanks pin hole first, then it goes after the pump bodies. On one job you could actually carve away at the inside of the pump volute with a pocket knife.

Great...Something else for me to worry about. I don't recall any smell but I'll make sure to check more closely next time around. I do plan on flushing my system this summer though, anything I should do to help clean things out?

I think I need to add another air removal device back by my wood boiler. Those micro bubbles are probably what I'm hearing in the pumps.

Thanks,

K

Hi
When i was getting close to filling my system,my supplier gave me his secret.
He called it the magic bucket.
A five gal bucket of your choice of fluid glycol or water,a remote pump with hose fittings.You need a high point with a hose fitting and a low point with a hose fitting on a loop with a way to shut off the flow between them.A hose from the high point goes into the bucket keep the end under the fluid.the pickup for the pump comes from the bucket and the output from the pump goes into the low point with the hose fitting.
Turn on pump and open the valves,let run till no more bubbles show up in the bucket.Shut valves turn on circs.and your ready to heat.
I have used this on all parts of my system and have to say filling and purging is a piece of cake.I filled and cleaned my system with water,then flushed with water,then filled with glycol on my house side,i was really nervous doing the water last winter in the glycol loop,but it took a mater of maybe 10 mins to get all the air out of the under ground lines and i was heating again.Added a big heat exchanger a couple of month's ago as tempoary heat upstairs,took about 5 min's running the magic bucket and it was air free pumping out the BTU'S.I don't have any auto air eliminator's on my glycol loop.I have three on the water loop,one at the top of each tank,and one on the top of the boiler,each one has a valve directly bellow it so if it need sevicing i can isolate them
Hope this will help someone.
Have a good day
Thomas

kopeck said:
in hot water said:

Great...Something else for me to worry about. I don't recall any smell but I'll make sure to check more closely next time around. I do plan on flushing my system this summer though, anything I should do to help clean things out?

I think I need to add another air removal device back by my wood boiler. Those micro bubbles are probably what I'm hearing in the pumps.

Thanks,

K

Iron bacteria is not real common, if your tap water is clean and oder free you are probably fine. Black goo could be a mix of oils, flux, pipe dope, maybe even the failed bladder particles.

Raising the system fill pressure a few psi is another way to get the last bit of air removed, especially on tall buildings.

in hot water said:
kopeck said:
in hot water said:

Thanks,

K

Iron bacteria is not real common, if your tap water is clean and oder free you are probably fine. Black goo could be a mix of oils, flux, pipe dope, maybe even the failed bladder particles.

Raising the system fill pressure a few psi is another way to get the last bit of air removed, especially on tall buildings.

Thanks for the info. I think it's mostly from the bladder as I also found small chunks of it. The stuff was jet black and very sticky. I didn't want to use anything real harsh on it so I tried some soap and hot water, which didn't really work. Then on a whim I tried a little waterless hand cleaner and that took that stuff off in no time flat. Rinsed it real well and put it back on the scoop.

K

Status
Not open for further replies.