Final Step of Stove Install (T6)...Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning,

Well, we got our T6 yesterday. Was able to rent an escalera from the folks that sold us the stove...so last night's delimma was getting it on the hearth. Moved the old stove out, moved the T6 off the truck and in and we thought we were home free when we got the crate onto the hearth. Actually...up to this point wasn't that hard...which was a pleasant surprise!

But...how do you get the stove out of the crate? I know there aren't a ton of T6 folks here, but has anyone done their own install with one? Moving it around wasn't easy...but we were able to manage it. However, the stove comes basically "levitating" in the crate (ie feet not touching the ground), with no really good options for removing it (even if I had a few more folks helping).

One question that might help is, is it okay to remove the ash pan assembly? Right now, you can't support the stove from below because the ash pan isn't structural and would collapse under the weight. Removing it would give you a real surface to work with.

I thought if anyone would have a suggestion it would be on this forum...but I understand that it's a difficult question.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

pics may help. any reason you cant tip it on its side or back?

Sorry about the lack of pics...I can probably have those up this evening if we can't figure out an answer.

Yes, you could probably tip it back...it just seems that the current setup (with the legs suspended) was somewhat designed to allow one to remove the crating below the unit and then set it down. I just can't find a good way to keep the stove propped up while I remove the crating around it. If I were to simply start taking the crating apart now...it would likely tip over (or go a direction I wouldn't expect or want).

Sorry about the lack of pics...I can probably have those up this evening if we can't figure out an answer.

Yes, you could probably tip it back...it just seems that the current setup (with the legs suspended) was somewhat designed to allow one to remove the crating below the unit and then set it down. I just can't find a good way to keep the stove propped up while I remove the crating around it. If I were to simply start taking the crating apart now...it would likely tip over (or go a direction I wouldn't expect or want).
does it look like this?
IMG_2173.jpg

If so then knock of the front sides and back, get a couple strong friends and load it into place, seems doable. I would have that puppy fired up by now.

I'd use an appliance hand truck from one side (your choice) & load
the legs onto the support lip of the hand truck & strap er tightly.
You should be able do move it just about ANYWHERE...

Thanks for the advice....that picture is exactly it. Almost like you were at my house :) Lifting it up and out of the remainder of the crate is probably is the best option. Can't find a way to get the arms of the Escalera under it to do the heavy lifting.

When I removed mine from the crate I laid small strips of plywood across the pallets front to back, then placed a small 2x4 block under the legs on one side of the stove, after that I had one guy hold one side of the stove and lifted the other side so the center was off the blocks it was sitting on, then I removed the center blocks, set the one side of the stove back down and removed the small 2x4 blocks from under the legs on the other side of the stove. Once both sides of the stove were sitting on the plywood strips I slid the stove back on the plywood strips and gently set the back legs of the stove on to the ground, then lifted the front up and slid the pallet out from under the stove.

Wow...nice work certified106...that sounds like it would work. Thanks for sharing. Amazing you can find 1) a picture of this exact crate and 2) someone who has had to deal with it on the forum!

Obvious, but just in case. Remove the firebrick,and odds and ends from inside the fire box. and if needed the baffle inside the box, door, and cast iron sides can be removed to decrease the weight...

There is a hand operated "fork lift" that our installers used to locate the stove onto the raised hearth. Which was really nice in that the blue stone did not get damaged at all. Probably overkill but it almost makes it a one person job with the lift.

Madison,

That's exactly what I have...the little fork lift. Where did you put the forks? I really don't have a good spot below the stove.

Thanks!

Obvious, but just in case. Remove the firebrick,and odds and ends from inside the fire box. and if needed the baffle inside the box, door, and cast iron sides can be removed to decrease the weight...

There is a hand operated "fork lift" that our installers used to locate the stove onto the raised hearth. Which was really nice in that the blue stone did not get damaged at all. Probably overkill but it almost makes it a one person job with the lift.

Certified106....your description worked out perfectly. I pretty much followed it exactly and we've got the stove in place. Have to replace some old stovepipe from the original...but I'll try and get some pics up soon. Thank you!!

When I removed mine from the crate I laid small strips of plywood across the pallets front to back, then placed a small 2x4 block under the legs on one side of the stove, after that I had one guy hold one side of the stove and lifted the other side so the center was off the blocks it was sitting on, then I removed the center blocks, set the one side of the stove back down and removed the small 2x4 blocks from under the legs on the other side of the stove. Once both sides of the stove were sitting on the plywood strips I slid the stove back on the plywood strips and gently set the back legs of the stove on to the ground, then lifted the front up and slid the pallet out from under the stove.

Sweet, glad to hear you got it in the house! Look forward to seeing pictures of it installed. The T6 is quite the stove and my wife and I have been thrilled with it!

Thanks for the thread. Moving these things is intimidating and hearing your experiences make is seem possible.

I'm an old fart highbeam and moved our T6 in with a few friends, a basic dolly and a ratchet strap. We had it off the truck and connected in an hour and a half. If you need help, let me know.

If it is just you, remove the firebrick, take off the front door, remove the ash pan, and anything else you can remove. You'll remove 100 lbs or more. It won't make it light, but it will make it more manageable.

Reactions: PapaDave
I'm an old fart highbeam and moved our T6 in with a few friends, a basic dolly and a ratchet strap. We had it off the truck and connected in an hour and a half. If you need help, let me know.

Thanks for the offer BG. I had my dolly out this weekend and it looks to be the perfect size. Moving stoves from ground level into/out of the truck bed is now the more daunting task. It's all in my head I'm sure. First I need to sell the heritage.

Thanks for the offer BG. I had my dolly out this weekend and it looks to be the perfect size. Moving stoves from ground level into/out of the truck bed is now the more daunting task. It's all in my head I'm sure. First I need to sell the heritage.
I avoided using the bed of my pickup truck. It was to much of an issue to lift it off the ground that much by myself. I rented a flatbed trailer or a small hatchback car to transport the stoves. Spending $20-40 for the trailer or car rental was well worth it for the ease of use.

Hi Folks,

Was a little delayed in getting a picture up as we were in the process of removing carpet in the room that the T6 was installed in. Here is a pic before putting the room back together! First break in fire hopefully comes tomorrow...as it's in the mid 80s today and humid...not a typical September day in northern Michigan.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

T6.jpg

Reactions: SKIN052

I dropped the tailgate, then made a ramp out of a pair of 2 x 10s staked with a stop peg at the bottom of each plank. Then we just slid the stove on palette down the boards with 2 people on each side. It took all of about 5 seconds.

Very nice looking Hearth... Glad it all worked out o.k...

Thanks for the pic.

Got to this thread late. I'm surprised no one thought of the obvious solution to that crate... burn it out! :p

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.