Final wood quantity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willman

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2008
Sabattus Maine
I was wondering what different peoples experience has been on the final quantity of wood realized from a tree length load. I realize there will be shrinkage from the sawdust and tighter stacking. Two years ago the 8 cord load I got came out to 6 1/2 cord CSS. This years load I just finished splitting and stacking. Just about 6 cord. Full 128 cu ft cords. I single stacked all the ash separate this past spring to start off next years burning and came up with 147 cu. ft. The rest fits into two 16' long stacks 4'x4'. The remainder just barely makes a cord stack which is being generous.

Is it time for me to find a new supplier ? Trouble is craigs list is filled with tree length wood wanted adds. Not many local sellers though. This wood was many months in the finding stage. With that said if anybody in my area knows of a seller let me know please.

Will

I've had the same.
A log length load has lots of space between logs.
Here, not many nice straight logs get sold as fire wood.
Most of the big birch are hollow too.
A 10 cord load of logs usually nets about 8 cords CSS.
Still cheaper than buying CSS wood, & a good deal.
The fuel & time savings, from having to drive & get a 3/4 cord load, 10 times, off sets the cost some also.
I guess it depends on what you are paying for the log length load. But shopping around is always a good idea.

William, getting 6.5 cord from an 8 cord full log load doesn't sound too bad to me. You've found a supplier and as you've stated, there is not much to choose from so you might be best served by staying with this guy if his price is good.

Willman. How much do you pay for a log load of wood? I am curious about this, I have been thinking of trying this sometime. It would save me some time and I can cut the logs up and split right in the yard. That helps because the kids can play in the fenced in yard while I am working right in there as well. Not many suppliers of log loads around here that I know of either.

This load was $960 or $120 a cord. I have heard from a couple of others that is the going price. I don't feel as it is out of line. Considering the price of oil right now is $3.44 per g the wood is a grand bargain. A local guy to me sells CSD for $220. I can cut to stove length at my leisure and when done split it all and stack it so I know the age of it. 2 gallons of gas about 1/2 or so gal. of bar and chain oil, one new chain does this and then some. Split it all for under 2 gallons of gas. Will be enough for 2 years burning due to well insulated house and efficient stove (insert)

My only caution on buying tree length is make sure you have plenty of room so the pile of logs doesn't have to be real high, the logs can tend to move around and I have enough on my mind to keep myself safe let alone any children in close proximity.
Oh yeah wood cut and skidded in the snow is much cleaner which makes for less chain sharpening.

Will

On the price. I was told the loggers are selling to the mills rather than firewood. There is a big demand spike for fiber due to the Japanese tsunami and meltdowns. Supposedly 5 paper mills went away,one way or another. The mills buy on weight not cords, no whiny wood burners complaining about the wood, can't blame the loggers at all.

Will

I sat and figured ( I was bored at the time) once that I lose somewhere around 1/3 cord or a little more for every load I get just in the cut of the chain and bark falling off.
Quite a bit of little strips of wood from splitting too. It's amazing how much doesn't end up in the stack, unless you save those pieces and use the sawdust for firestarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.